Handlebars on V11

wambiker

Hi all, just finished converting My V11 to use handlebars instead of clip-ons. I love the bike but the standard riding position gives me very sore shoulders. So I drilled out the top yoke as per the ballabino that I rode a while back and fitted risers and bars. I tried a set of norton straights (flat but with a slight bend either end) which where an improvement but have now fitted some low rise alloy bars. This has given me the position I like, I know some will think this is heresy, but it's my bike and I cover a fair few miles each year. There were no major problems, the wiring had to be re-routed around the forks and the throttle cable re routed under the tank. Clutch hose was no problem and as the picture shows the brake hose was routed up the rear of the fork leg. This is not ideal but is safe. During the week I will make up two new hoses and use a double banjo bolt, which I think is better than the current layout, no strange tee joint and hoses to rub on the mudguard. Also noticed a couple of strands split on the throttle cable so will get a new made by venhill and get them to add 6" to length to smooth things out even more. :mg:

Cheers Gary

hb2.jpg

hb3.jpg

hb4.jpg

hb5.jpg

hb6.jpg

what risers did you use?

Are they rubber mounted?

Is the vibration about the same?

thanks in advance!

58265[/snapback]

Dlaing,

I did the bar swap thing earlier this year, used solid mount risers and a renthal alloy mid rise bar.

I found the vibration levels far better, even without bar ends. Anyone who has tried the std setup without bar end weights will realise this amounts to a big improvement.

I've now fitted small stainless bar end weights just so I could mount the neat little bar end mirror I've had lying around for a year. :D

I also like what it does to the "chuckability" of the ol bus, so did Cycle World who did a similar conversion on there long-termer, they used cali mounts which are rubber mounted. Not necessary imho.

First post from a new member! Been reading this forum for a while, figured it was about time I joined in. I only see about 3 V11s a year, and I live in London! Gotta stick together.. :huh:

I only see about 3 V11s a year, and I live in London! Gotta stick together.. :huh:

58277[/snapback]

It is strange why Guzzis sell better or worse in various places.

NYC probably only has three V11s while the state of California probably has over a hundred!

I guess it has something to do with marketing or the fact the bike NEEDS the open road!

Certainly one would think Londoners and New Yorkers would be Guzzi savvy.

Heck, there are probably less than ten V11Sports in Rome or Milan!!!

Guest rollingthunder

Looks great Gary :)

I've had the parts to fit bars to mine for a few weeks now, but haven't had the time to do it. I've got Ballabio risers, a Cali EV top plate (in glossy black to match the paintwork), but haven't decided on the bars yet - I'll be going to a local custom shop (Wizard Customs for the UK readers) to pick a suitable bar - don't want it too high or too wide, just enough to make commuting a little more comfortable. I'm hoping that the brake/clutch lines will be long enough... :bike:

Hi all, :D dlaing sorry its taken a few days to get back to you. The risers were given to me so I don't know what they are off, but I will try to find out. They are rubber mounted but I never really noticed that much vibration in the clip-ons just the discomfort in my shoulders. there is little vibration through the alloy bars that are fitted, now with small bar ends fitted since the photos. I have drilled the top yoke as per the ballabino so could try those risers. I also ordered a V10 yoke as this was recommended and comes ready drilled for the risers but on offering it up to the V11 yoke dicovered that although they look the same there is about 6mm difference in the offset between steering stem and the fork legs. I sent it back and drilled my own yoke instead. The current bars are possibly a little to high and wide, I'll try sliding the controls further towards the centre of the bars and see if I like that better. Failing that I intend to try a set off ducati monster bars. I'm prepared to persist till I'm completely happy as I intend to hang on to this bike. Rolling thunder I found with a bit of rerouting the cluthch line is long enough, just take dirrectly around the fork leg rather than inside the headlamp bracket, and all the wires and fast idle cables fit the same way. On the brake side the hose is to short to route normaly to anything higher than flat bars, I rerouted it behind the fork leg which fits but does not look well and requires the hose to be cable tied too the fork leg to stop it rubbing on the tank, the throttle cable routing is also not great. I now have two seperate brake lines and a double banjo bolt and a universal throttle cable kit to fit to rectify these problems. Sorry if this is a bit long winded just trying to help.

Cheers Gary :bier:

Guest rollingthunder

:whistle:

Rolling thunder I found with a bit of rerouting the cluthch line is long enough, just take dirrectly around the fork leg rather than inside the headlamp bracket, and all the wires and fast idle cables fit the same way. On the brake side the hose is to short to route normaly to anything higher than flat bars, I rerouted it behind the fork leg which fits but does not look well and requires the hose to be cable tied too the fork leg to stop it rubbing on the tank, the throttle cable routing is also not great. I now have two seperate brake lines and a double banjo bolt and a universal throttle cable kit to fit to rectify these problems. Sorry if this is a bit long winded just trying to help.

Cheers Gary  :bier:

58526[/snapback]

Cheers Gary :bier:

My first intention is just to get her more comfortable for now - as long as the lines are safe and don't cause any damage I'll be happy. As mentioned many moons ago, I intend to strip her down and get the frame either enamelled or powder coated, the wheels powder coated, and the engined repainted, as all are showing signs of serious degradation - commuting 1000 miles a month in all weathers in not good for any unfaired bike! I have to say that the Guzzi is far more reliable in this role than my old BMW GS, which surprises most people! The Guzzi is also more fun, and easier to ride, although she does drink a bit. I naturally stick to the speed limits all the time... :whistle:

Its good to here someone who uses a V11 all weathers with no problems-finish excepted. Mine has only done 13000, thought it was 8500 but just discovered in the paper work that came with the bike that it had a speedo change under warranty at 4800, so the bike I bought with 5500 on the clock 8 weeks ago has actualy done near double that, but what the hell 10000 in 5 years is still pretty low. The rocker boxes and alternator cover had been painted red-fairly badly and the front of the sump and engine cases top of gearbox and bevel boxes are looking rough for their age. I've repainted the rocker covers red as I quite liked them that way but put the alternator cover back to silver. I'll get round to the others in due course. As I said in the last post all the lines and cables and wiring is safe, so you shouild have no problems in the short term, I'm just a born fiddler and like things to look right as well as work. I have been a bit surprised at my V11s thirst, but then it also has mistrals and the fueling set up to match I will just have to live with it and enjoy the noise they make.

Cheers Gary :D

• Like 1