Extreme troubleshooting MISTRAL x-over

Guest rosso mandello

Guest rosso mandello

post-1249-1142962036_thumb.jpgToday I went all the way with my x-over, and cut it up. As the picture explains, it is no wonder that the 2 pipes do not talk together. No connection in the small tube in front and 3 x 12 mm holes in the oval pipe.

I had i welded together in a way hard to explain, but I made a big chamber instad of all the cutaway.

Ill be back with an additional picture when I get i back fra polishing finish.

Finally i set a time with the dealer i may, PC III, dynoruns and all. I can´t wait.

IMAG0022.JPGToday I went all the way with my x-over, and cut it up. As the picture explains, it is no wonder that the 2 pipes do not talk together. No connection in the small tube in front and 3 x 12 mm holes in the oval pipe.

I had i welded together in a way hard to explain, but I made a big chamber instad of all the cutaway.

Ill be back with an additional picture when I get i back fra polishing finish.

Finally i set a time with the dealer i may, PC III, dynoruns and all. I can´t wait.

83006[/snapback]

Very illuminating, to say the least! Kinda silly that they go to all the trouble of using that fancy oval tubing, etc. - only to punch a couple of tiny holes for x-flow! The durn thing is more about music than plumbing... :homer:

Can't wait to see the results from your mod (pix and dyno graphs both!)

:mg:

Guest ratchethack
The durn thing is more about music than plumbing...  :homer:

Now a real Guzzista could play that crossover like a contra-bassoon... :rolleyes:

Guest rosso mandello

Here it is, polished and ready to go.

As I see it, the 2 exhaust pipes can have a good gettogether here, I hope the dyno run will prove me right.

Ill be back

post-1249-1143632618_thumb.jpg

here it is form the other (top) side

ciao

84201[/snapback]

What exactly have you done inside? As I understand it, crossovers are there to improve low speed running by allowing exhaust gas pressure pulses to work on the opposite cylinder, improving cylinder filling. This _may_ have a detrimental effect on peak power but that will depend on many factors.

The first picture you showed seemed to indicate rich running, due to the sooty look of the crossover interior. Would this not affect peak power more than crossover design?

mike

Guest rosso mandello
What exactly have you done inside?  As I understand it, crossovers are there to improve low speed running by allowing exhaust gas pressure pulses to work on the opposite cylinder, improving cylinder filling.  This _may_ have a detrimental effect on peak power but that will depend on many factors. 

The first picture you showed seemed to indicate rich running, due to the sooty look of the crossover interior.  Would this not affect peak power more than crossover design?

mike

84203[/snapback]

There is absolutely noting in there, to have as much x over as possible to improve high speed running.

The rich running I will take away with an PC III

Nice cutting, welding and polishing work.

However, haven't you just re-created the stock crossover?

The only difference I see is that you don't have the stainless sound-deadening insulation inside the top and bottom of the stock crossover. Am I missing something?

84260[/snapback]

Perhaps he has.

But is is also slightly more of an X, like the Stucchi.

I suspect he may even get better high rpm power than either the OEM or the Stucchi, better midrange than the OEM, but worse midrange than the Stucchi.

But I am just guessing.

Anxiously awaiting his dyno!

Looks nice :bier:

There is absolutely noting in there, to have as much x over as possible to improve high speed running.

The rich running I will take away with an PC III

84237[/snapback]

Everything I've read suggests that, to achieve what you want, you should have two separate exhaust systems. No crossover at all. That way, you can tune each cylinder precisely, without interference from the other.

mike

Everything I've read suggests that, to achieve what you want, you should have two separate exhaust systems.  No crossover at all.  That way, you can tune each cylinder precisely, without interference from the other.

mike

84322[/snapback]

That's basically exactly the same as how I think things work. The V engine always has this 90° offset that makes it impossible to tune the cylinders properly.

But, IMHO the very small volume of a 1 in 1 system probably would be more counterproductive to noise and power then the above mentioned 90° angle.

Hubert

Everything I've read suggests that, to achieve what you want, you should have two separate exhaust systems.  No crossover at all.  That way, you can tune each cylinder precisely, without interference from the other.

mike

84322[/snapback]

Wait til I get the Bub exhaust going for my Centauro. Total noise!!!

Wait til I get the Bub exhaust going for my Centauro. Total noise!!!

84330[/snapback]

Have you ever heard a Bub exhaust? After a few miles with it you'll probably want to pitch it over a cliff. They also drag sooner than stock in a corner according to a guy I know that has one.

Guest rosso mandello
Nice cutting, welding and polishing work.

The only difference I see is that you don't have the stainless sound-deadening insulation inside the top and bottom of the stock crossover.  Am I missing something?

84260[/snapback]

I newer finished the stock x-over, cause I had the opertunity to get this done.

I also wait for my dyno run on the 2. of may, in a month it is, so.......

i´ll be back