Hmm. So this is why the back tyre was skittery.

belfastguzzi

At last year's Erin, I had an oily rear tyre – as the big bevel box seal burst on the way down and oil kept flinging out onto the tyre.

This year, on the way home, the bike was unexpectedly stepping out of line when banked over (e.g. around roundabouts) and it would slide dramatically under heavy braking.

When I got home after 300 miles, I saw why. This year's problem was self-generated. Due to the gear-change problem I filled the gearbox to a high level – without taking into consideration that I had fitted an extended breather pipe that leads up to the under-seat area. As it happened, the end of the tube terminated over the rear wheel area...

...so, oil was blowing out and ultimately emptying on to the rear tyre. The tyre did a nice job of flinging lubrication around. The upside is that the shock eye mount didn't suffer any rusting on the journey.

Oil came from breather and down this way:

oil.jpg

Rear end nicely lubed

oilarm.jpg

Guest ratchethack

Say BFG - looks like y'er bodges are the same as many of mine:

They exhibit "features" not always anticipated...... :blush:

Hey BFG !!

ya dodged the bullet that time mate ! :thumbsup:

l know that we all like to keep our swing arms bright and shinney, but thats over doing it !! :homer:

We enlightened :sun: Tennista" :wub: are keen to show you :ninja: the way, but not at the expence of you seeing your arse on an oily back tire

take care !!,

:bier:

Cheers

van