Ohlins Transplant

Guest gooseorduck

Guest gooseorduck

The fork diameter of my 04 Le Mans is 54mm and earlier models have the 43mm.

Has anyone put 43mm Ohlins to replace the bigger diameter fork? I know this may take replacing the upper and lower fork brackets.

The fork diameter of my 04 Le Mans is 54mm and earlier models have the 43mm.

Has anyone put 43mm Ohlins to replace the bigger diameter fork? I know this may take replacing the upper and lower fork brackets.

All the V11 Spine six speeds have forks that are 54mm at the triple clamps and 43mm at the steel tube.

I believe there are a few models of 43mm Ohlins.

Not sure exactly what fits, but if the forks are from another V11SpineFrameSixSpeed they will fit, unless somebody did something non-OEM.

Usally when talking about fork diameter the actual slider is measure on both RWU an USD forks rather than the casing. I'd be surprised of theya re radically different to the Ohlins I have some 48mm ohlins on a dirt bike dunno what the upper casing diameter is but they have been described as tree trunks.

If you get the ones from a Cafe Sport or Coppa Italia (hollow axle), the forks will bolt right on to yur bike, but you will also need the axle and spacer from the donor bike. If you get the ones from the Scura (solid axle, if I remember right), you will need its axle and spacers and maybe have to change a wheel bearing (I forget all the details. If you get the Olins from a pre-04 Milled R, I think the forks will bolt right up, but you will likely need a Coppa/Cafe axle and spacers.

Guest gooseorduck

well joel, yes a number of people have done it. If you search the forum you can find it. it's easy, if you have the ohlins made for the v11, else you have a lot of work. hmb in germany has them new in stock. They bought overstock from factory

http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/html/teileangebot.htm

Thanks for all the responses.

I wonder if these forks from Germany are straight bolt on? I'll send them an email, and hopefully, there's someone there who could translate.

Other possibility is buy a used Scura but that may take a longer time.

What's the reason behind putting a hollow axle? Weight reduction?? Or so we can put a shop stand to the front wheel with ease.

Thanks.

The german ones are staight bolt on. The front axle that fits is 25mm with on one side a 30mm piece. So if your axle is 25mm you change nothing on the wheel, maybe only need the axle. If you need an axle, the duc 999 axle is a nice fit, I had that one in, as do others. The mudgard has other mounting. So you can order the original from a scura or rosso corsa( expensive), or better get one from an rsv aprillia, the rsv one keeps the legs better clear of mud.

take a look here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1201

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8355

the rsv one keeps the legs better clear of mud.

...and gravel flying at your forks at 100MPH :doh:

I got the other front fender, that in my opinion is better looking, but the protection the RSV fender provides is well worth the sacrifice of a very minor aesthetic difference. :thumbsup:

well joel, yes a number of people have done it. If you search the forum you can find it. it's easy, if you have the ohlins made for the v11, else you have a lot of work. hmb in germany has them new in stock. They bought overstock from factory

http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/html/teileangebot.htm

wow Paul,some real bargains here! So tempting to buy some spares....just in case...

...and gravel flying at your forks at 100MPH :doh:

I got the other front fender, that in my opinion is better looking, but the protection the RSV fender provides is well worth the sacrifice of a very minor aesthetic difference. :thumbsup:

what the rsv fender does worse is the back, it's so short there that the whole engine gets dirty

What's the reason behind putting a hollow axle? Weight reduction?? Or so we can put a shop stand to the front wheel with ease.

For the same wt., a hollow tube is stiffer than a solid bar, since the stiffness goes up as a product of the diameter of the piece [obviously, a solid bar is a smaller diameter for the same wt.]

Unsprung wt. is a big deal in suspension; that's why nobody races a shaft drive bike in MotoGP or SBK any more... back in the 70s when the LM1 & LM2 were effective [& still are in vintage racing], the suspension was so bad anyway it hardly mattered. Also, chains didn't last as long & weren't as strong # for # (or kg 4 kg) as they are now. A high quality DID 520 chain of today can do what it took a high quality 630 chain in the 70s to do, and last 2x longer in the process! Of course, it costs 5x as much, but once you adjust for constant $ it's only 2 or 3x as expensive... ;)

So basically, the answer to your question is "for greater stiffness" which = better handling & longevity.

:nerd:

what the rsv fender does worse is the back, it's so short there that the whole engine gets dirty

Yeah but: since the RSV sold in greater numbers, is there a Fenda Xtenda that is made to fit? As opposed to having to adapt models made for other bikes as V11 owners have to do now [i believe one that's supposed to work on Guzzi fenders is the Yammie FJ11?]

Guest gooseorduck

Again thanks for all the responses.

Now I'm thinking of buying a used Scura and swap all the goodies, then sell it for $1.5K less.

hi joel. just wondering , what is that shaft drive bicycle. ''your avatar''

:D I didn't notice that until your post. That oughta be a fake image, either that or I will HAVE to buy the bike :):)