Engine Finish Opinions ...

Crooz

OK, here's the deal.

I have now gathered the tools and set down beside my 2002 LeMans twice in the past week to start the process of removing all the engine finish bubbles, only to back out each time. I am concerned that anything less than total coating removal will result in an apearance that's really worse that what I now have. I don't plan of removing engine/motorcycle parts in oder to remove the factory coating thats bubbled. Then I planned on using the Harley wrinkle finish paint to recoat where the bubbles were removed.

I realize there are several options for this sort of job, however I only planned on using scrapers and wire brushes and wasn't considering a TOTAL coating removal.

Bottom line... I need the opinions from those of you that have attemped improving your engine fisish.

Which is going to look the best: :homer:

1) Leave it as is (with only 2 or 3 blister flaked).

2) Remove every blister possible with scraper & wire brush, and leave the black finish underneath showing, no respraying.

3) Remove every blister possible with scraper & wire brush and then respray with the harley finish where needed.

4) Remove every blister possible with scraper & wire brush and then respray ENTIRE engine area, even though the coating is not removed from non blistered areas.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. :huh2:

If I only had 2 blisters and they bothered me enough to make me want to fix them I'd try just shooting those 2 spots with Harley paint and see what it looks like. If you don't like the looks break out the wire brushes and go to it. I too thought there might be a base coat under the blistered paint but there wasn't, so your option 2 is out.

The Harley texture (not wrinkle) paint matches the gearbox paint on my bike well but it really doesn't match the "fuzzy" factory paint on the engine. You've probably seen the before and after pictures of my recently repainted engine in this thread . To my eye the gearbox texture looks better than the factory engine texture.

If you have a decent workspace and don't mind having your bike off the road for a short period of time I think you can get pretty good results without removing the engine. The only thing that I'd do differently if I did mine again would be to lightly sand the edges factory paint that I didn't completely remove. I found that the Harley paint did not have a heavy enough texture to completely hide the transition from factory paint to bare metal.

Of course you could always go with option 5: paint a nekkid woman on your tank so no one looks at the motor :D

Hope this helps...

Crooz,

I'm in the same boat as you. I bought my LeMans in mid 2005. Last winter I thought I'd refinish the crankcase as best as I could with the engine still in the frame. At the time there was only a few bubbles and it didn't look too bad. I procrastinated long enough for the warm weather to arrive and then just left it alone. Now after another riding season it looks quite a bit worse and it's time to "just do it" as they say. I plan to do a partial disassembly to get better access to the cases and soften the paint with a heat gun. As Tom said, Harley's texture paint is the stuff others have had good luck with and that is what I'll be using. I'll keep you posted as things progress.

BTW, it's Crinkle or Wrinkle paint I should get?

How many cans will suffice?

AFAIK there is Wrinkle or Texture. You want Texture.

Don't know how much will be needed. I'm thinking this stuff has a pretty high solids content so coverage should be pretty good from one can.

Guest Nigelstephens

I would go for option 1. Leave as is. This is the only genuine Guzzi finish as my photos below.

You can get this too with daily winter salt and weekly washing.

gearboxpaint.jpg

engine.jpg

On a more serious point, how do your restore this mess. New bike or wire brush and paint?