HELP!! Did I fry my computer?

wheelsucker

While reattaching the hot wire to the battery, the wrench slipped and fell onto the computer. Sparks flew and the angels shrieked. Now my bike won't start, all the electrical stuff works(blinkers, headlight, horn). The bike won't turn over, nothing, like the battery is dead. Is there a way to check if the brain is fried or if its the starter? Its really cold out if that could have anything to do with it. Anyone know how much it costs to replace it and where I can get one if I need it?

While reattaching the hot wire to the battery, the wrench slipped and fell onto the computer. Sparks flew and the angels shrieked. Now my bike won't start, all the electrical stuff works(blinkers, headlight, horn). The bike won't turn over, nothing, like the battery is dead. Is there a way to check if the brain is fried or if its the starter? Its really cold out if that could have anything to do with it. Anyone know how much it costs to replace it and where I can get one if I need it?

Would be "wiseasier" to start checking the fuses first and then perhaps thinking of the worst.Or if there is something else you should also check first someone from the forum can give you more clues about it.

I checked the fuses located at the back of the bike on the left side(looking at the rear tail). Is there another set of fuses i should check that I don't know about? Anything else I should/could check?

Nope there aren't any other fuses AFAIK.Some relays(play role on starting) I think and that's all, dunno if and how they can or could be affected.Do you hear the fuel pump starting up when turning key to on?

Might try checkin each fuse across the leads with a multimeter for continuity as well. Sometimes you can miss the break if it's small enough. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a fuse if everything else works but the starter.

Guys , this is the second time in the last few weeks that someone has had an arc to there computer when attaching cables to the battery! This is why you should ALWAYS remove the negative battery cable first and when reattaching your cables, attach your positive cable first. This procedure will prevent you from shorting your positive terminal to ground.

The fuel pump does not turn on when I turn the ignition on. The bike is completely dead except for being able to operate the lights. Any thoughts, first places to check/start?

Make sure when testing for starter you test with kickstand up, neutral light on, and clutch in. Given that the starter still fails, look to the common point for the Starter and the ECU, which if I figure right, seems to be the run switch.

Make sure it is on :cheese:

Or maybe bypass it.

Also, there is a five way connector under the gas tank leading to the run switch that could be bad.

Make sure when testing for starter you test with kickstand up, neutral light on, and clutch in.

dlaing, if we ever meet, I owe you a beer :bier: My dumb A$$ had it in first gear :homer: . Started right up when I put it in nuetral. Oh the stupid things I overlook sometimes :huh2:

dlaing, if we ever meet, I owe you a beer :bier: My dumb A$$ had it in first gear :homer: . Started right up when I put it in nuetral. Oh the stupid things I overlook sometimes :huh2:

Lol yes , I was in your position one time as I had first got my bike.Difference is , I was in the middle of almost nowhere while traveling.Had to hitch hike some other fellow bikers to get me to the closest Guzzi shop 70km away to come by with a van to load the bike , finnally finding out that the bike was starting after the side stand was pulled off. :homer: Lesson learned. :grin:

Cheers dlaing a063.gif

Just in case anyone who saw this and missed my post,still haven't found anything obvious.Looking for Electrical system diagnostic 101 help.EX"take this probe,put it here and check for this" :homer: type advice.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9961

Thanks,Michael!

:stupid: