spokes over mag/carbs over fuel inj

johnjfosterIII

I have recently purchased a 2000 VII Sport Motor,trans,driveshaft, and rear.My next Guzzi project will be based around this. However, I would like to run Spoked wheels and carbs. Can anyone tell me what Guzzi rear hub would fit theVII's rear. And also any reccomendations on carbs?

I have recently purchased a 2000 VII Sport Motor,trans,driveshaft, and rear.My next Guzzi project will be based around this. However, I would like to run Spoked wheels and carbs. Can anyone tell me what Guzzi rear hub would fit theVII's rear. And also any reccomendations on carbs?

My understanding is that the 6-speeds all utilize a completely different range of gearing than the old 5-speeds. Accordingly, I don't think a spoke-wheel from any of the Tontis [recent Cali's, Stone, Al/Ti models] will work.

If you run carbs, won't you have to pick up the ECU off the '96 or earlier Spot? I don't know if the later model ECU can handle no output to injectors... As for which carbs, either Mikuni or Keihin flat-slides [FCRs?] are the only logical choice. Or, you can get some Edelbrocks [used to be Revco? - design evolved from Lectrons; Edelbrock bought'em a few years ago & markets them to the Harley crowd. They work well...]

Best o' luck!

:mg:

Did you read http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8729 ? They look marvellous to me anyway. Though they are far too expensive for me.

If you run carbs, won't you have to pick up the ECU off the '96 or earlier Spot? I don't know if the later model ECU can handle no output to injectors...

I would guess the 15M will at most complain silently about it, and still do the ignition. Otherwise you could try http://www.jefferies-au.org for a MyIgnition though I can't see that product on his pages now. Anyway Cliff will probably be able to provide you with ignition control in some way. The stuff from a carbed 1100 Sport may also be a good idea, as Skeeve says.

If you run carbs, won't you have to pick up the ECU off the '96 or earlier Spot? I don't know if the later model ECU can handle no output to injectors... As for which carbs, either Mikuni or Keihin flat-slides [FCRs?] are the only logical choice.

No need. There is a relatively easy way around this. If you are intending to run carbs then you don't need most of the input sensors that would normally be found on a V11 motor - just use the cam/phase sensor as a trigger for the sparks. Don't forget that there is NO, I repeat NO, way you can mount a Guzzi distributor on the V11 block as there is no mount for it - not even an unmachined boss as with the V10 Centauro/Daytona. In any event the cam has no dizzy drive so it's a lost cause.

Get in touch with Cliff MyECU and he will advise you which of his products will best suit your needs but if it is the same scenario as the myself, with a V11S engine going into a Tonti frame and running on carbs, then an early itteration of his MyECU series should do. This will allow programmable spark advance, duration etc, etc. In fact I believe everything a My15/16M will do with regard to the sparks but let Cliff advise you. The Rec-Ignition module is good and still available to my knowledge, (it better be because I'm just about to order one for a race bike project!!), but that needs a dizzy - with or without Dyna rotor - to work so that's for earlier engines.

I'm going with Mikuni 41mm flatsides because of cost considerations and the easy availability of jets etc. Keihen FCRs would obviously be the cream on the cake but price is beyond my budget and they come up on eBay with the same regularity as rocking horse shite. BTW Dr John Wittner seems to think Mikunis would be a good idea as well. I did read somewhere that the reasons the daddy of the V11 engine series - the 1100Sport Carb - used Dellortos instead of Mikunis were down to existing commercial interests, expense, (price for a pair of Mikunis being close to the EFI solution), and the lack of a European Mikuni R&D facility to ensure Euro compliance.

What are you planning on doing with the rest of the bike frame-wise? Something of a bastardised vesion of one of the Deccla racers with the abbreviated Tonti frame but a mono rear end would be really cool and a certain head turner George's Racing Pics.

Here's an example:

33CarlosL.Fernandez.JPG

Best of luck

Graham