Question for guys running pod filters...

profWacko

What did you do with the crankcase vent hose when you took off the air box?

It's the one coming from the large banjo fitting on the top of the spine.

Inquiring minds want to KNOW!

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack

>>I just routed mine down so that its behind the transmission facing the street. Cut off any excess hose so that it doesnt look sloppy.

Thanks, Richard.

I was just wondering if it made much difference not having a negative pressure in the crankcase.

So, apparently not. Cool.

-Jack

Keep 'em wet. Seems like every set of K&Ns I see on a V11 are dry and gray. When wet and pink, they strain down to gnat size. When dry, they're just butterfly strainers.

a recharge kit is cheap ($15ish?) and can recharge the things like 50 times I swear, I'll be recharging mine everysunday I think, only takes about 15 min. :luigi:

keep'em charged and maybe even racket won't wave a finger at you, but then again... :oldgit:

:lol:

Keep 'em wet. Seems like every set of K&Ns I see on a V11 are dry and gray. When wet and pink, they strain down to gnat size. When dry, they're just butterfly strainers.

Not to hijack this thread, and I certainly don't want to trigger a foam vs paper debate. :unsure: So, filtering ability aside, I was looking for insight on how much intake roar with pods compared to a modified lid, compared to a stock air box? My bike sounded best when the only mod was the carbon mufflers. The crossover increased noise and made it somewhat more raspy (still sounds good though, and not too annoying to the neighborhood). I'd like to free up the intake side some but not at the expense of too much more noise and the dreaded seat vibration that sometimes comes with a lot of intake roar.

Thoughts from the experienced? :oldgit:

Guest ratchethack

. . .I was looking for insight on how much intake roar with pods compared to a modified lid, compared to a stock air box? My bike sounded best when the only mod was the carbon mufflers. The crossover increased noise and made it somewhat more raspy (still sounds good though, and not too annoying to the neighborhood). I'd like to free up the intake side some but not at the expense of too much more noise and the dreaded seat vibration that sometimes comes with a lot of intake roar.

Thoughts from the experienced? :oldgit:

Dan, I found the sound level entirely tolerable (just exquisite, really) with Stucchi crossover, FBF oval carbons, and stock intake. Just experimenting, I fabbed up an air filter bracket and tried out a "lidless" airbox.

2 observations:

1. The intake roar was excruciating. The ONLY way I'd be able to tolerate it is full time ear-plugs.

2. The bike ran so lean that it would require a re-map. No if's, and's, or but's.

The stock airbox top went back on immediately, and let me tell you, it was a great relief! :o

Reporting on this here a few years back, a few responded that they have no problem with the lidless intake roar wotsoever. It's obviously a subjective kinda thing. :huh2:

Hope this helps. :sun:

Dan, I found the sound level entirely tolerable (just exquisite, really) with Stucchi crossover, FBF oval carbons, and stock intake. Just experimenting, I fabbed up an air filter bracket and tried out a "lidless" airbox.

2 observations:

1. The intake roar was excruciating. The ONLY way I'd be able to tolerate it is full time ear-plugs.

2. The bike ran so lean that it would require a re-map. No if's, and's, or but's.

The stock airbox top went back on immediately, and let me tell you, it was a great relief! :o

Reporting on this here a few years back, a few responded that they have no problem with the lidless intake roar wotsoever. It's obviously a subjective kinda thing. :huh2:

Thanks, that is exactly the info I need before I started carving things up. Is your air box completly stock at this point? Intact lid & nozzles?

Dan:

There're some threads here by an Aussie boffin (no offense meant) named Phil A. who advocates belling out the intake snorkels and drilling two holes in the lid. He claims that with this set-up and the paper filter, it flows more air and makes more power than with the lidless airbox and K&N.

I modified my airbox thusly. I didn't do any dyno testing to verify the power claims, but I can say that the noise penalty is very, very slight, which is a good result. You don't hear the intakes at all until you whack open the throttle, whereupon you hear the standard intake moan, only slightly deeper in tone and slightly louder. Power seems at least as good as it was. And you get to keep the paper filter.

Guest ratchethack

Is your air box completly stock at this point? Intact lid & nozzles?

Yep, completely stock except for BMC gauze filter element.

Not to get too far off topic, and just as a FWIW -- (and by all means, leave us not resume the Air Filter Wars! <_< ) -- Despite rumors to the contrary and similar appearance, I have verified that the BMC filter for the Guzzi is NOT the same as a K&N, YES - despite the fact that they have similar filter media supplied by the same mfgr! In tests I've read over the years (please don't ask, I can't find 'em anymore), BMC and K&N aren't at all equivalent WRT tested performance, not even very close in most test parameters. Air filter media mfgr's engineer filter elements to different spec's for different filter OEMs, just like oil filter media mfgr's do. As Greg has been known to point out, contrary to common practice, gauze filters need to be cleaned and oiled per instructions, or they can't be expected to perform their intended function worth a tinker's damn. -_-

As with any intake setup discussed here and anywhere else it seems, YM is almost certain to V. :lol:

Very good suggestion.

I will be using the Uni foam ones, which still require oiling.

I'll post pics when I get them installed a little later on today.

-Jack

Guest Mattress

Very good suggestion.

I will be using the Uni foam ones, which still require oiling.

I'll post pics when I get them installed a little later on today.

-Jack

Did you get the pod filter set up from South Pacific Cycle? They had a really nice looking setup that provided a polished aluminum runner a few inches long that attached to the TB, rather than clamping the filter directly on the TB.

I like the look. I've thought of going that way, but not this year I think. Would definitely require addressing a re-calibration with Powercommander or whatever.

2 observations:

:stupid:

I found the sound tolerable at partial throttle, but if hit the right RPM with a good handful of throttle it felt like it was sucking the ear drums out of my skull (slight exaggeration). When noise becomes excruciating, it is well past the threshold of doing damage. If you don't mind losing your hearing, fine, the tappets sound better if you are hearing impaired anyway....maybe that is why Guzzis appeal to geezers who grew up listening to loud rock and roll :P

And speaking of music, since I put the lid back on the Mistrals sound better...I know the audiophiles on the forum can relate, unless they are into that microtonal cacophonic garbage <_>

With lid back on octane requirements went down, bike ran smoother, but fuel consumption went up, and I am sure I lost some power, atleast at high RPMs.

I now have to work on leaning it to a more appropriate level....

When noise becomes excruciating, it is well past the threshold of doing damage.[/b] If you don't mind losing your hearing, fine, the tappets sound better if you are hearing impaired anyway....maybe that is why Guzzis appeal to geezers who grew up listening to loud rock and roll :P

yea, I'm of the age where hearing preservation is important to me. Rock concerts & the dragstrip have have played a roll. It is true though that tappets & wives do sound better with some hearing damage. This makes me fondly recall the few days several years ago when the missus suffered from laryngitis. Ahhh the memories.....

This makes me fondly recall the few days several years ago when the missus suffered from laryngitis. Ahhh the memories.....

Nothing sexier than the voice of a women with laryingitis :wub: and I love the benefit that you can hear yourself think :lol: