Tank removal problem

Tom M

Every time that I've removed my tank I've had a problem with the petcock and especially the fuel pressure regulator hitting the airbox as I lift the rear of the tank. The back of the tank also contacts the front edges of the tailpiece as I lift it off. I always push the tank as far forward as possible and it's still tough to get off. Well, last weekend the fitting that the FPR is screwed on to actually snapped off when I was removing the tank. Thankfully the tank was empty so I didn't spill fuel all over my basement!

It seems like the tank mounts on the frame should have been welded on a little farther forward on my particular bike. I might have to remove some material from the rubber tank mount pucks to get the tank on & off a little easier.

Does anybody else here have this problem?

Guest ratchethack

Does anybody else here have this problem?

Yep. If you want to protect y'er paint, the tank's gotta be "jockeyed" off. The way I've learned to do it is to first pull the tank a few inches back, so that the front of the tank clears the rubber frame mounts on the spine. The front of the tank can then be raised and moved in the forward direction again slightly, up and OVER the rubber tank mounts. This will allow the rear of the tank to be carefully lifted past the clearance between the electric fuel petcock and the side cover on the left-hand side. I've also learned that a few layers of masking tape over the fuel petcock protects the paint on the side cover. Works the same way on my Pal's '04 LM.

Hope this helps. :sun:

Yep. If you want to protect y'er paint, the tank's gotta be "jockeyed" off. The way I've learned to do it is to first pull the tank a few inches back, so that the front of the tank clears the rubber frame mounts on the spine. The front of the tank can then be raised and moved in the forward direction again slightly, up and OVER the rubber tank mounts. This will allow the rear of the tank to be carefully lifted past the clearance between the electric fuel petcock and the side cover on the left-hand side. I've also learned that a few layers of masking tape over the fuel petcock protects the paint on the side cover. Works the same way on my Pal's '04 LM.

Hope this helps. :sun:

Thanks. I'll have to give that a try.