scottd132's V11

Cliff

Guest PainterX
My theory on the idle blurble (and pure conjecture it is too!) is that the very low air speed velocity through the throttle bodies at idle allows fuel to fall out of mixture and puddle in the intake. Eventually, it does something and the engine coughs.

This would explain why I drip fuel from the throttle body (right side only) when i burble along at lower rpm. I avoid the miss by running at higher rpm. But on those days I feel like burbling it reappears. Mine showed up before my first service. I was actually spewing fuel out the right muffler. Seems worse in hot humid weather.

Matt Halter

01 v11S

The conjecture part is okay, however, a Sport 1100i was having problems in Texas this week and it turned out to be the injector had a particle in it. The fuel filter is supposed to catch this stuff of course, but if it fails to do so, and obviously, that can happen, then the injector may spray unevenly and you can have a cylinder that doesn't fire or that continuously dribbles fuel. The injector was fixed by blowing it out with an air hose. I presume from the tip back towards the fuel line hook-up. All of this was after the injector on the other side of the bike was damaged when it got dropped and the owner had to shell out $364 to get a replacement at the local BMW dealer.

Good theory but I don't think its correct. I modified the injector timing on My16M to squirt right on the inlet stroke ( The WM injects early near the exhaust stroke ).

So there's no to to fall out on mine. I still get the occasional idle miss when it gets hot.

So much for my theory. I think Mike Rich said that the Guzzi piston squish area was pretty primitive and the shape and spacing leads to secondary detonation. Under heat, that would be exacerbated, so perhaps that's the problem. It may be less on Al's bike because of the porting, but if he's running stock pistons, that particular behavior would probably still be in evidence. That's an eloquent way of saying I don't have a clue. :P

Guest dkgross

Scott...Micha put a PowerCommander III in my '02 LeMans (stock map with stock pipes/no crossover). I dont' seem to have any of the problems you mention. There's a definite flat spot around 3000 rpm and again at 5000 rpm during a smooth acceleration.

Unfortunatlly, there isn't an 'authorized PowerCommander Tuning Center' that will do a Guzzi anywhere near us (California is the closest). However, I've had a number of conversations with the guys over at Beaudry's Motorsports in Idaho. They've got a Dyno, are familiar with the device, and said they'd be glad to dial it in for me (at whatever their dyno rate is). Perhaps that's an option for you??

I've found Dave at MI to be a pretty forthright kinda guy... If Micha and Jason are saying it's a lemon, I'd bet that Dave will go to bat for ya with MGNA.

Guest scottd132

I finally got in touch with MGNA again (tech support) I had to explain everything all over again, he forgot. Wants me to check the ground from the battery to the tranny :homer:

Then install my original ECU :homer:

Then ride the bike to Portland from Seattle to have Cascade look at it.

He gave me a TPS of 3.8 +/- .1 for the 2001 with the Guzzi Ti Exhaust and ECU. He was specific that these are different for the 2001 and new 2003, yes that makes sense since they have made changes to the FI system.

The Ti system has a install manual I never got my hands on that has a lot of info in it.

As well, the dealer broke one of the mounting lugs for my ECU and Terry informed me to be careful when changing my ECU not to touch the battery cable......another :homer:

So other than sell the bike for a big loss and buy nothing, I guess I have to take a day off work and ride to Portland.

Is it me or does this seem like a big..... :homer:

Scott

That sucks. Most Guzzis (not all, obviously), are reasonably set-up and run from the dealer which means they never have to deal with MGNA. Here, where MG's reputation is made or destroyed, we have MGNA telling a customer to take his vehicle several hundred miles to another dealer and use up his valuable time. If MGNA had any style or competency, they's fly their tech rep out and fix the bike where it sits.

Guest scottd132

OK, Update, the 2001 V11 sport green with CF parts everywhere. spends most days in the shade of the garage.

Got the picture?

I got a hold of MGNA again, this time I was a bit pi###d off and told him I would not ride from Seattle to Portland with a bike that misses badly to have Cascade look at it when Moto International is a 15 minute ride.

I also spoke with Dave Richardson at Moto International when I was down picking up my old exhaust and ECU (I have not had a reason to drive the car there but now that the bike is laim, well, I finally got aroung to it). Dave had a renewed interest in fixing this. He made note of it and told me they were getting in another Ti exhaust with ECU and needed to try that ECU.

I then talked to Terry Walker again at MGNA and he went out of his way :not: to call Mecha at Moto International and ask them to try the ECU.

In the mean time I came home last night and swaped the Ti performance ECU with mine. So I was running the Ti pipes wwith everything else stock on the bike.

It started and idled really nice. It pulled OK and did not miss between 3-4K on the freeway, a light surge but no miss. When it got warm it stilled died upon coming down the exit ramp and piulling in the clutch, but started up and will idle pretty well warm, some caugh and stumble.

Ok here is the big one. The power difference is very evedent between the ECU's the Ti performance ECU which has both different fuel mapping and ignition mapping is huge!!!

With the stock ECU, the bike runs as I remembered, with the Ti, ECU it really moves and when Mecha had set it up originally, he set it up to the instruction specs for the CO it was like....4.5%CO, the bike moved out but the miss between 3-4K was the worst so he dialed it back.

OK the point: You all know this but...if we could remap the timing, adjust the CO where we want, (for the sport guy fuel milage is not a big deal) and then remap the fuel (PC III) we could get the power I found in the Ti performace ECU.

Anyone getting a new ECU might consider getting this one, find the P/N for it. It should work well with any aftermarket exhaust, the key is the timing curve not the fuel, heck it's screwed up anyway.

Install it with your PCIII and DUDE!

SO after MGNA get's mine running as good as possible I will be getting a PCIII, and a sirbox mod kit from Fast by Ferracci, install the closest possible map and try it.

Since the nearest PCIII center that would work on it is Idaho, Portland or Vancover BC (we have them in Seattle but they only work on H.D.'s and one in Bremerton who I cannot get to return calls) I will wait until this winter.

If I get close and decide to keep this bike, it is getting the treatment this winter.

10.5:1 or 11:1 pistons, both Moto International and FBF have them.

Either Raceco S3 or MegeCycle Cam

Head flow work with valves, seats, and guides.

Carillo rods

balanced bottom end

Ti cans and performance ECU

FBF air cleaner kit

and ......

it's either sell the gargae queen for 7K and loose my a## or put some $ in it and have a lot of fun.

Besides I will need a two seater so when I buy the MGS01 single seater I can avoid the "what about me" thing fromthe girlffriend.

Happy Fourth

Scott from Seattle :sun:

The PC III is the way to go with the stock ECM. Way adjustable and less expensive than the factory remapped ECM. There is a new PCIII that just came out, it has the USB port plus a 9 volt battery powersource so it looks like you can download maps into it when it is off the bike. I have one coming in from Todd this week for my 03 Rosso.

For your stalling problem on freeway off ramps, the 00 and 01 had the problem with this. Loosening the valve adjustment to Raceco specs seems to take care of this problem. Also make sure your idle speed is set on the high side.

Happy 4th :food: , :bier: , :thumbsup:,

Mike

Oh wow... they have a new USB PCIII for the V11?! That's great.

I hear that with the USB model, you can map each cylinder/injector and that it has more cells, for finer tuning.

Hrmmm, may have to check into that.

Again, now if we can just get them to make an "r" version :wacko:

al

Guest scottd132

UPDATE!!! From Scott, the 2001 V11 sport (green with CF parts). Remember I have the Guzzi Ti cans and performance ECU.

MGNA called Moto International and authorized them to spend more time dinking with my bike after I complained about havign to take it from Seattle to Portland as MGNA's proposed solution.

Micha installed another performance ECU from MGNA, no change, still missed at 4K, he then installed the stock ECU, now it missed at 2900rpm.

So I said I am going for Mexican food and feel free to just blow it up. When I got back he said he found the problem.

When I took the bike in to install the Guzzi Ti cans and performance ECU Micha also repaired a problem with my fast idle (choke) lever. He shortened the spring at the throttle body, and now the fast idle works great.

Problem: when you do that it sets into position the fast idle cam such that when setting the TPS the throttle body butterfly will not shut completly down.

So when he set my bike up with the Guzzi Ti cans and ECU system he set the TPS and CO and etc. But he set the TPS with the throttle body butterflies partially open.

There is no way the bike woudl ever run right as far off as the TPS was.

SO, he released the fast idle cable completly allowing the cam to move out of the way of the throttle body butterflies and reset the TPS then re-installed the fast idle cable and ......shazam. TPS set the CO is 4% per the Ti sytem instructions and the bike flat out hauls ass.

smooth, no dip in the rpm range, idles and has tremendous power by the seat of the pants over stock.

The Guzzi Ti performace ECU is the one you should get if having to replace your stock failed ECU even if you have a PCIII as you can take advantage of the timing change.

I rode home in 90 degree weather and stop and go for over a half hour, the bike stubled a bit at idle, but I think loosening the valves a bit may help here.

The rear brake sis it's usual grinding in the heat thing but the bike ran great and once back up to spead ran like a top.

Rode it again last night about 25 miles after dark and again it ran great.

I highly recommend the Guzzi system for the performance minded. They weigh a lot less than my sock cans (for sale!) and you get the performance ECU which will be a great baselein to begin perfomence mods from using a PCIII.

Thanks to all of you guys here who showed concern and gave ideas.

Yes you were right it was the TPS, check this on your bike and see if you too have the same interferernce problem.

Scott in Seattle :thumbsup::grin:

Guest scottd132

Sorry fro the spelling errors, up till 4AM with a friend in the hospital.

Scott

Hey Dave, I saw you smokin Lemans... the rear brake deal sucks, man that disc color is bad. :vomit:

We will have to get out there together when you get it fixed.

Scott

Good news Scott.

Quite a mistake on their part. I thought the official procedure was to back off the idle stops all the way to set TPS. What you should do is measure the TPS voltage now so you can set it in future.