Dynojet PCIII "r"

17 members have voted

1. 1. Dynojet PCIII "r"

• - I'd just buy a PCIII
    • - I'd buy a PCIIIr instead of a PCIII
    • - I'd sell my PCIII and upgrade to a PCIIIr
    • - I don't care about either

:P ...ok, sorry, that was pretty corney, but I couldn't resist.

So here's the deal, Dynojet currently only makes the "plain" PCIII available to the V11 Sport/LeMans community. Their position is that this is such a small volume bike, that the potential revenue just isn't there to justify the R&D for the "r" version which adds Ignition mapping, or a "USB" version which allows(on some bikes) individual mapping per cylinder.

But, from what I can tell, under ideal circumstances, the "r" version of the PCIII is generally only $20-50USD more than the "plain" unit we have today. And I believe that not only would several of the current "plain" PCIII owners sell their current PCIII to upgrade to an "r" with the potential to work around some of these stumbling/idle issues... but that since the pricing is so close, most new PCIII buyers would just go ahead and opt for the "r" version if available.

Ergo, whatever run-rate Dynojet is seeing today for the "plain" PCIII, would be at least equal to on-going sales for a new "r" version.

And ultimately, I think they'd even see increased sales due to the opportunity the addition of ignition curve fiddling would offer, as well as the more granular mapping the "r" version offers.

So, that being said... the only way we'll convince Dynojet to think about developing an "r" version is to let them know en-masse.

If you are interested, drop them a line at:

Link to Dynojet Powercommander Sales and Tech E-Mail Contacts

I've done so, and I think Todd Eagan is also trying to get their interest piqued.

...and yes, we all know I have a personal interest since I have my dual-plug project in limbo until I can get the ignition remapped, so this is near and dear to my heart :rolleyes:

But unless I am crazy, I bet the ability to modify ignition as well as the standard fueling would be a real boon to those of us with stumble/idle/miss issues. It would add another tool to the arsenal. And the newer "r" and "USB" version also allow much finer throttle postion and RPM cell mapping(from what I hear), for a much finer and exact map. This is also a very good thing to smooth out the curve. :thumbsup:

*sigh*... I sure wish we had an "r" version. How come the HD guys get one, that's not fair! :wacko:

al

The HD guys get one because they drop money on their bikes in vast quantities and there's 3/4 of a million of those dinosaurs on the road.

:P ...yeah Carl, I know. My HD comment was pretty "tongue in cheek"

I was waiting on someone to point that out B)

So, you gonna help me "pressure" Cliff into making some new versions of his My16M ECU with the correct 15M connector so it'll be relatively weather-tight and plug right into our harness like a PCIII? :thumbsup:

Cliff? ;)

al

I don't need much pressuring. It wouldn't take much effort on my part to relayout the board to suit the 15M connector.

If someone can find the part number of the ECU connector and a source I'll do it. If you can find the cable side connector also I could switch over completely to the 15M plug.

Carl perhaps you'd loan me your spare ECU to look at so I can size the board etc.

Cliff, you get it set-up as plug and play in the V11sport/LeMans, and I'll buy one. I don't know how much I would use it, but sure would be fun to play around with. Besides, I'm a sucker for cottage industry guys like you.

I notice on your website that you currently offer a kit form- that's even more fun since I like to sling a little solder occasionally.

Good Luck,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Todd at Guzzitech.com just told me that Dynojet is now making the PCIII USB instead of the "old" serial PCIII available for the V11 Sport/LeMans. I don't think the "old" version will be made anymore.

The advantages are a 9v battery connector so you can easily program the PC off of the bike, and I believe that the PCIII USB allows for even finer(more cells) adjustment of throttle position/fuel. So that's a good thing.

Just an FYI...

No news on an "r" model though...

al