windshield

Guest callithrix

Guest callithrix

I crashed the guzzi today and need a replacement windshield( along with other parts). Are there other alternatives other than stock? Website or decent dealer/ Thanks.

One would assume we're talking about a V11 LeMans here, but just for clarification purposes, could you elaborate as to what model and year your Guzzi is and if it is MG or aftermarket windshield?

Gustaffsen makes a windscreen that fits the LeMans. Frank Wedge bought the clear screen and I bought the smoked one. It's as dark as my sun glasses. Got it in less than a week. They are located in Florida. Several months back Frank Wedge wrote an update on his bike in the newsletter. I believe their phone number is in the article. Costs about $125 and you have to transfer the holes from the fairing. Good product and about 5 inches taller. I can even stick my head behind it to get out of the rain.

Any chance we can get a pic of the tall screen? The stock one is great as it causes no buffeting (for me at least) but how about the taller one? :bike:

I'll see what I can do tonight. New camera with an inexperienced operator. Don't know how to manage file size.

Just use hi resolution

and then crop and scale using

Photoshop or

the Gimp

That way you can test sizes, cropping, colour depth and so on

if only the original picture has enough resolution.

Most of the buffeting is at the top of my head when I sit upright as possible. Otherwise smooth as can be. Frank did the handlebar riser change a couple years ago and that forced him to find a taller windshield. Like I said, the smoked screen is very dark. Get the clear one. The material is only about 2.5mm thick, it's preformed and bends easily, and you'll just need to transfer in the mounting holes. The kit comes with a drill bit ground specially for drilling plastic. It even has a spare little piece of plastic to practice on.

Here is the pic. Gustaffsen phone number is 904-824-2119.

Question: Why did the manufacturer of the windscreen choose to cut the screen such that is has to be mounted on the outside of the fairing, unlike stock, which is mounted inside??

It seems like this is a little "less finished" and might catch debris, and maybe even be noisier, such as generate potential whistling.

I'd also be concerned that it would scratch/abrade the painted finish of the fairing such that one couldn't reinstall the oritiginal windscreen later.

Of course, I have seen a couple LeMans as delivered from the dealer with the windscreen incorrectly installed on the outside, but that was only in the first months when dealers weren't quite sure how these bikes went together :rolleyes:

Nice solution though. My OEM screen provides me more than enough protection, but I can see how many taller people, especially those with more upright bars might find this extra protection much more attractive for longer trips.

:thumbsup:

al

That's odd. I've seen over a dozen V11 LeMans and not one has had the screen put on the "right" way. I haven't noticed any dirt accumulating. Whistling noises? I thought that was my smile! :D

Honestly though, it might have been cleaner, although more difficult to install, on the inside. Maybe next time.

That's odd. I've seen over a dozen V11 LeMans and not one has had the screen put on the "right" way. I haven't noticed any dirt accumulating. Whistling noises? I thought that was my smile! :D

Honestly though, it might have been cleaner, although more difficult to install, on the inside. Maybe next time.

Wow, honestly not to be argumentative, but that is odd... maybe your regional dealer isn't aware of how the fairing should be assembled out of the crate? Honestly :huh2:

I've seen one with it mounted on the outside, and the fella told me the dealer put it on that way when they assembled it. He never realized it was "wrong" until he saw other bikes... then he noticed how the inside of the fairing is notched for the screen, outside edge is beveled, etc...

hrmmm

Given the soft MG paint, I can't imagine having it on the outside of the fairing would be very good for the finish long-term.

While always a matter of personal taste, it really does look better mounted on the inside in my personal opinion ^_^

Official MG LeMans photo:

lemans_screen.jpg