* Ride Report * Newton County, Arkansas - 03.10.2007

rocker59

Wow!!! It's been a long, dark winter, but the sun has been out and the temperatures have been moderate this week... Today was actually the third time I've been able to ride this week !!! I rode Tuesday with a friend on her Harley up to Eureka Springs. Thursday, I rode some local backroads and visitied the nearby BMW shop. Each of those rides was about 100 miles.

Today it was more like 200 miles. I took off on the Nero Corsa just after noon and headed for some of the best riding in the country. Newton County, Arkansas. Population 8,608 !!! Several of the area's best roads run through Newton County and there are several good places to eat in Jasper.

200px-Map_of_USA_AR.svg.png

200px-Map_of_Arkansas_highlighting_Newton_County.svg.png

I always like to stop in Kingston. The town has a neat little town square and there is always something going on, being at the junction of highways 21 and 74. Today I visited with Dean, who runs Grandpa's Flea Market and bought some Thin Mint Cookies from some local Girl Scouts. A few motorcycles were coming and going. It was Saturday, so lots of ranchers and cowboys were hauling cows and horses around in stock trailers.

A lonely old farmhouse on highway 74 West of Kingston:

135024679-M.jpg

It was probably a nice home at one time:

135024700-M.jpg

Malfunction Junction. What a great name for a service station. Long out of business, there is something appealing to me about this building on the square in Kingston:

135024713-M.jpg

Rebel Flags can still be seen flying here in the far Northwest corner of the former Confederacy:

135024759-M.jpg

This one in front of a home in Kingston:

135024743-M.jpg

Highway 21 decending into Boxley Valley. 11% grades and lots of nice curves!:

135024774-M.jpg

Highways 21, 16, and 7 get me to lunch in Jasper:

135035243-S.jpg

Typical Arkansas state highway in the Ozarks. Curvy, scenic, no traffic:

135024787-M.jpg

Highwy 7 South of Jasper:

135024804-M.jpg

Great road, Highway 7:

135024879-M.jpg

I had intended to eat at the Cliffhouse Inn which overlooks some beautiful scenery. It's a breakfast/lunch place and I got there too late. While there, I decided to snap a couple of pics of thier tourist sign! This place is near McElroy Gap and overlooks the valley formed by the Left Fork of Big Creek, a tributary of the Buffalo River:

135024838-M.jpg

135024858-M.jpg

From "the Arkansas Grand Canyon", I headed on in to Jasper to try and get a bite at the Ozark Cafe. It's been in downtown Jasper for about 100 years. Good food at the Ozark, and sometimes they have music on Saturday nights. Jasper is a fun little place to stay overnight when riding here in the Ozarks:

135038716-M.jpg

From Jasper, I headed to a nice section of twisties. Arkansas Highway 123 between Mount Judea and Lurton was gravel up until a few years ago. When the highway department paved it, little did they know what a great little motorcycling road this would be!

135053025-M.jpg

Typical scenery for this part of the state. Taken on Highway 123 along Big Creek near Vendor, Arkansas:

135024893-M.jpg

The Nero Corsa posing with Highway 123 in the background:

135024977-M.jpg

One of my favourite 19th Century farmhouses in this area. Not many exist because not many people lived here prior to the 20th Century and many have been lost to fire. Some of those fires from when the Yankees rode through here. This house has some nice Greek Revival trimwork not visible in the photo. Greek Revival was popular before the Civil War, but continued on as added detail to farmhouses. This is called an "I" house, a popular style here in The Hills:

135024913-M.jpg

The style came about from back in the days of single pen log homes. When a second, or third pen was added, it became known as an "I" house. When people started building frame houses here in the middle of the 19th Century, they kept the style of the older log homes. Two, and sometimes three, front doors are common on these houses:

135024937-M.jpg

The switchbacks just South of Mount Judea on Highway 123:

135024615-M.jpg

135024629-M.jpg

I stopped in the little logging town of Deer on Highway 16 for fuel. Yep, Deer is the name of the town, and Antlers is the school mascot. Timber and deer are popular in these parts:

135024650-M.jpg

From Deer, it's Highway 16 all the way home. Mostly through the Ozarks National Forrest. In the 40-miles between Deer and St. Paul, I only saw about a half-dozen cars and a couple of motorcycles. It was me and the road on a beautiful afternoon! It doesn't get much better!

135048236-S.jpg

A nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I'm glad Spring is almost here !!!