teflon tape?

Tom M

Is it OK to use teflon tape as a thread sealer on the fitting that the fuel pressure regulator screws on to? The factory had some kind of semi-hardening goop on there. I'm not sure if I should use some gasket sealer or if teflon tape is OK.

I would think it to be ok, but be real careful to start wrapping the threads just beyond the end. Said another way- don't get tape into the fuel system.

I'll illustrate with a parable.

My brother once rebuilt a little Nissan truck engine and wrapped some of the bolts with teflon. A bit or two came off, clogged the oil galleys and he seized the engine.

Why not use a paste for sealant? I'm not sure of the particle sizes in it, but some of the pastes are rated for petroleum use- I'm not sure the tape is.

I would think it to be ok, but be real careful to start wrapping the threads just beyond the end. Said another way- don't get tape into the fuel system.

I'll illustrate with a parable.

My brother once rebuilt a little Nissan truck engine and wrapped some of the bolts with teflon. A bit or two came off, clogged the oil galleys and he seized the engine.

Why not use a paste for sealant? I'm not sure of the particle sizes in it, but some of the pastes are rated for petroleum use- I'm not sure the tape is.

Teflon will work fine for petroleum, antifreeze, gasoline. It's virtually inert. I'm not sure of the particle size of the pastes either. I'd steer clear of them and agree with you 100% on beginning to wrap the thread just beyond the end.

Tapered threads come in two classes: The standard threads are less than 100% full threads, and require a sealant to prevent leaking. These are usually used for low pressures. NPTF, or "dry seal" threads are 100%, and are intended to seal gas-tight without sealant. These are used typically for higher pressures, or where a sealant is objectionable. Modern hydraulic systems avoid tapered threads in favor of 0-ring sealed designs.