Engine Warning Light on Acceleration

Guest dkgross

Guest dkgross

ok..I coulda sworn I saw someone mention this, but I couldn't find it using the Seach engine.

I've started to notice that under hard acceleration, my engine warning light comes on. It usually goes off pretty quickly, but, sometimes it stays on a while. My oil level seems ok when I check it..

help?

Look under "Cross posting a serious problem from MGNOC list, Loss of oil pressure under accelleration" on June 10.

I've spotted the oil light on my 02 Lemon flash a couple of time, but try as I may, I cannot make it show when I want to.

Since an intermediate oil change, and filling to the top level indicator, the problem hasn't reappeared. Fingers crossed!

But the Reader's Digest version is that you're loosing oil pickup and consequently oil pressure- bad stuff. No oil to main's, to rods, etc. Let off the acceleration if you have to, and make sure you're oil is full to the top.

I haven't looked in the crankcase, but it seems like a rearward mounted pickup should be on someone's 'to make' list. Anyone try a windage tray like Pete Roper put on his bike?

Cheers,

Jason

Guest Brent

I also experienced this over the weekend when starting off from a complete stop, although I wouldn't say that I was under 'hard' acceleration. So when I got home I checked the oil level and found it between the high and low mark. I did this on the side stand, but should I do it with the bike straight up on the shop stand? Maybe this will show a lower level... :wacko:

http://www.guzzitech.com/Windage-ed.html

has a how too article. Looks like a lot of work and double the chance of leaks.

But if it can save your engine from oil starvation, it is a good thing.

What does a windage tray do? prevent sloshing and splashing of oil???

Perhaps strategically placed mesh will have a similar result without the need for gaskets, etc.

The dipstick should be checked with the bike level. The manual says the dipstick should be screwed all the way in to take the measurement. I've seen the oil light phenomenon but only when the oil was near the low limit. I've read somewhere about bikes performing better with the oil near the low level. (Less oil to be thrown around.) Once I saw the light come on I immediately put in the extra oil and haven't seen the light since.

Suggestion:

Fill the oil to the high level. Put the bike on the side stand on level ground. Pull the dipstick and make a mark at the "new" level. That way you won't need help to check the oil level.

Look on the V10 Centauro forum, there's a long discussion on this - they suggest slightly overfilling w/oil solves symptom. I think performance issue you mention is only small power loss from oil drag on crank. Has oil pick up on the newer Guzzis changed from the Tonti ones cos it was never an issue with them (on the road anyhow)...mind you there wasn't internet discussion forums either... If you check discussion on windage trays it's not clear that they work anyhow.

Guest jeremy

yup, your correct, I have to over fill my centauro to keep the light off, I think they have the dipstick fixed for your bikes but just the same I would keep the oil all the way to full, that shoud cure the problem, there was a problem with the presure relief valve backing out on 4v's but then the oil light stays on at low rpm.

:bier:

What does a windage tray do? prevent sloshing and splashing of oil???

Yep.

In particular it is designed to keep oil from splashing up on to the quickly rotating crankshaft and causing extra drag. Very often it is used with a crankshaft scraper, this would help to "clean" excess oil off of the counterweights. This can be worth several Hp on high revving engines that encounter lots of oil movement. i.e. motorcycles and roadrace cars. :bike:

Guest kev11

2000 V11 sport oil capacity question. The owner manual says it take 3.5 liters ... I drained the oil without the filter and added 3.5 US quarts

(thats less than 3.5 liters) I ran the engine then checked the level

with the bike level and it's way over the max indicator on the dipstick.

I'll probably drain some out to bring it to max.. and plan a complete oil and fiter change when I find the proper oil filter and wrench... Is it possible it only hold 3 qts ...is there a 1/2 quart in the filter ?

There isn't a 1/2 Qt in the filter. I believe the oil volume spec. is on a dry engine, meaning oil lines and oil cooler are empty. There is no way I know of on how to drain the whole system without taking everything apart. There is an thermostat in the engine oil sump that opens when a determined temperture is reached that allows oil to flow to the engine oil cooler.

Mike

Be sure you are draining from the lower drain plug.

It is a good idea to drop the pan every few oil changes to check for schrapnel.

No special tool needed to change the filter if you drop the pan. But have a spare gasket on hand in case you tear it.....

When you refill, perhaps start with three quarts, measure, add a litte, measure, add a little, measure, run the engine, let sit a few minutes (engine off), have a beer, measure, have a beer. etc.

I would have guessed 3.5 quarts would have been fine...oh well.

Damn it is hard to balance the bike with one hand and slip the dip stick in without hitting the side or dipping early.

I like that idea for re-marking the dipstick for being measured while on the side stand, but be careful doing that too, as it will be even easier to early dip if the tide of oil has moved to the bike's left.

I think all the lube shops I go to in my car ALWAYS over fill a few millimeters because they are going by specification and not measurement, or maybe they are using the have a beer method?!?! :bier: