My16M

gthyni

I read all the info on Cliff's My16M site

and got really excited about the project. :grin:

I have a few questions to start of a discussion:

- Clifff do you run the My16M for everyday use (in Closed Loop mode)?

- Where/how do mount the 02-sensor? In the crossover?

- Anyone else interested in testing it on a V11?

If you go to Cliff's web site for the My16M and look under the early developement history part, you'll get a fascinating read on the gestation of his effort. So...

1. He didn't start closed loop. He runs that way now.

2. There is a photo under the developement part, but here it is anyway:

O2sensoronbike005.jpg

3. No one is having any luck obtaining a source on the ECU connector used on a V11 P15. It is apparently an Amp SuperSeal made my Kawasaki Heavy Industry (from the mfr's drawings at any rate) and is closely related to part number 9-1437287-9 which isn't quite the right connector as this part has the type 2 keying (we need type 1) and it's a 90˚ PCB connector where we would prefer a straight/vertical one. I have a call in to the Tyco tech rep and may or may not get an answer some day as to the real part number. Worse, it's not likely to be available in the USA except maybe in quantity purchases (read thousands). We'll see. I have a spare ECU that after I've finished an experiment on, I may send it to Cliff so he can gut it and put in an new version of his board. I can't see that this would be a preferred route for this kind of endeavor though, but for the one experiment it would be all right.

Definitely keep us informed on the "connector quest" as I'd still be interested in the MY16M as an alternative so that I can tune the timing in conjunction with my dual-plugs effort, and the ability to run closed-loop would be great :thumbsup:

Here's hoping that we can source the connectors...

al

My bike is predominantly a weekender. I ride it all the time closed loop. I have about 10000km on My16M now.

Kent Polt in Texas, don't see him much on forums, is running My16M closed loop also. He runs his bike daily. The week after putting on My16M he went on a 3000km trip.

He finds the closed loop control affects his finer throttle adjustments when fanging so he sometimes runs open loop. I think his issues are primarily due to My16M not being mapped fully to his bike causing it to continually correct. He'll be putting it on a dyno in a few weeks.

Just the last couple of weeks I've made an enhancement to My16M. It is possible to disable closed loop for individual entries on the map. This can allow you to lock full throttle to be a bit richer, or allow the backoff to be a bit leaner.

I know the wiring harness sounds like major surgery, its a three hour job, and sounds like it would affect wet weather operation. The first My16M user rode three hours in the rain to get here the other day and there was very little water anywhere near the harness or ECU. To date I not heard of any of the modified harnesses failing at all.

The 2003 models put the O2 sensor on the crossover under the engine.

So perhaps you should all release yourselves from your proprietry connector shackles and be free :D

Yeah, but although I am known to tear the various OEM setups apart, my first preference is always to avoid something that isn't plug/play.

...and with the ECU harness so critical :unsure:

Hope to hear some positive news on the "correct" connector ^_^

al

Wow, lot of more exciting info.

I can't help myself :blink: ,

I get so curious by this.

I really bought the MG to have a steady alternative to

my "experimental BSA". Now I'm on the the path of EFI

hacking :wacko: (I better sell the Beeza :( before making

the Guzzi my main project).

I'll check out the harness tomorrow :luigi:

I still got warranty on the bike so the best solutions is to

make all mods reversable, which is a complicating factor. :doh:

I also nice to be able to go back to the 1.5M when I screw up :blush:

and for A/B tests.

You can rip out the WM 15M and replace it with My16M. Thats actually a bit easier to do.The safe alternative is to splice My16M in parallel with the original. I think thats the way everyone has gone so far. That way you can use either one and you don't risk having the bike off the road.

Guest Jeff in Ohio

Yo Carl,

Are you sure the connector on the ECU is not a Delphi/Packard Electric connector. The connectors for the TPS, speed sensor etc. are Packard/Delphi. It makes sense because Marelli is frequently in bed with Delphi on projects. For example, even though the new Harley's are primarily Delphi systems (ECU and program), the throttle bodies, intakes and other misc. parts are still made by Marelli (I've seen the intakes being made!). Anyway, the superseals do look like a connector that Delphi/Packard make. I used to have link to them as I had to hunt down the TPS connectors for someone. Can;t seem to find the link to their online catalog right now though.......

I think all of these manufacturers are under the Tyco conglomerate. I did eventually find the vendors drawings through this web page :

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/TE/bin/...0018^M~FEAT^G~G

and they seem to be have originated in Japan. The darn connectors could be produced anywhere, but where they're sold at is the problem.

Guest Jeff in Ohio

Nope, Delphi/Packard and Tyco/Amp are fierce competitors. We use connectors from each manufacturer on our products. They are 2 very distinct companies........