FBF Airbox Conversion Kit for V11

mznyc

Does anybody have and BAD experiences with the FBF conversion kit?Iv'e only trusted stock air filters to keep out the bad stuff on all my past bikes.

Should I worry about particle trespassing into my into my nether regions,or am I being overly caustious ?

I got a MG Ti kit and am thinking of going the Stucchi xover/ToddPC3/Dyno Solutions route and am wondering if the extra breathabilaty is worth the risk of doing damage down the road.Also I would assume that at some point FBF will stop making their filter as a few of their V11 parts are being dropped from their catalog. Could you use a stock MG filter in the kit?

Link to kit ,http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=265

Thanks,

Michael :rasta:

Should I worry about particle trespassing into my into my nether regions,or am I being overly cautious?

Thanks,

Michael

Your bike will be louder and faster, your engine oil will be dirtier.

Are you the loud, fast and dirty type?

DW

I prefer keeping the stock airbox with properly cut holes along with keeping the snorkels. It seems to allow excellent flow, use stock or KN filters and is cheap. Should provide similar screening as stock. Worked for me, along with x-over and dyno link tuning I went from 78 bhp to just under 85

Cheers,

Jon

Guest ratchethack

Does anybody have and BAD experiences with the FBF conversion kit?Iv'e only trusted stock air filters to keep out the bad stuff on all my past bikes.

Michael, I don't have any direct experience with the FBF kit, but I did make my own bracket that accomplishes the same thing. The bracket worked perfectly, as designed.

The overriding problem for me was that I couldn't tolerate the horrendous intake roar without earplugs. Not just at WOT, but at moderate throttle openings. The stock airbox cover went back on immeidately. I've read several posts of others on this Forum who didn't seem to have this problem, so it appears to be a subjective thing.

Should I worry about particle trespassing into my into my nether regions,or am I being overly caustious ?

IMHO, if you're concerned about engine durability at all, you're well advised to be cautious, yes. There are many who evidently couldn't care less about how effectively air filters perform, who would as easily advocate open stacks as they would certain air filters that filter air poorly compared to others, and load up lots faster and hit test restriction limits earlier at the same time. To each his own. Many don't seem to care in the slightest per the infamous K&N Air Filter thread/brouhaha. :whistle:

More analysis and discussion than many people seem capable of understanding or willing to tolerate may be found here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...hl=K&N# :whistle:

. . .wondering if the extra breathabilaty is worth the risk of doing damage down the road.

You can get "extra breathability" with open stacks. Many evidently consider this "worth it". Many go through motorcycles like a pair of socks, I don't. But that's just me. -_-

You can have "extra breathability" and risk damaging your hearing, tolerate it, or use earplugs. Ditto. :huh2:

Also I would assume that at some point FBF will stop making their filter as a few of their V11 parts are being dropped from their catalog. Could you use a stock MG filter in the kit?

I think I'm safe in assuming that the FBF conversion bracket allows any stock or replacement filter just as my filter bracket does. In my case, a BMC worked just fine.

Hope this helps. :mg:

Ratchethack,

My Nero Corsa is stock but I "have" to wear earplugs. The wind turbulence coming off the fairing and past my helmet is just too noisy to tolerate without earplugs.

Do you really ride without earplugs?

Guest ratchethack

Ratchethack,

My Nero Corsa is stock but I "have" to wear earplugs. The wind turbulence coming off the fairing and past my helmet is just too noisy to tolerate without earplugs.

Do you really ride without earplugs?

I don't use them on short trips, but have begun to use them on any ride over about 30 minutes. According to audiologists and a teacher of hearing-deficient children I've asked about this, hearing damage from this kind of noise is a cumulative thing that doesn't tend to manifest itself in shorter intervals.

Everyone's threshold to both irritation and the point where damage begins is different (they're evidently not the same, either).

FWIW, here's the take of a guy who puts himself out there on the Web as an expert witness WRT hearing damage by motorcycle. Sounds reasonable to me, but then I'm probably suffering from hearing damage. Huh?? :blush:

http://www.msgroup.org/TIP150.html

YMMV

Using the FBF lidless conversion doesn't mean you have to use a FBF or K&N filter. Ratchet's yapping about nothing again.

I use the stock Guzzi filter with my FBF lidless - fits fine. There is more HONK but I find it quite liveable. I always ride with earplugs though.

If you often ride in a dusty environment I wouldn't recommend going with the K&N/FBF filters etc.

There have been reports of the heat reflecting tape underneath the gas tank (it tends to peel off over time) getting sucked onto the filter and blocking it but so far the FBF/K&N filters have managed to keep it out of the motor. :P

cheers,

Rj

I don't use them on short trips, but have begun to use them on any ride over about 30 minutes. According to audiologists and a teacher of hearing-deficient children I've asked about this, hearing damage from this kind of noise is a cumulative thing that doesn't tend to manifest itself in shorter intervals.

Everyone's threshold to both irritation and the point where damage begins is different.

FWIW, here's the take of a guy who puts himself out there on the Web as an expert witness WRT hearing damage by motorcycle. Sounds reasonable to me, but then I'm probably suffering from hearing damage. Huh?? :blush:

http://www.msgroup.org/TIP150.html

YMMV

I rode my Sport 1100 for years without earplugs. I started wearing them a few years ago, even though it's pretty quiet behind the Sport 1100's small fairing.

The Nero Corsa's fairing works great. The airflow is smooth. It's just so loud that on most any trip I use earlplugs.

I started developing tinitis a couple of years ago. Cumulative motorcycle/rock-n-roll noise levels over the years, I'm sure...

Everyone's threshold to both irritation and the point where damage begins is different.

YMMV

Earplugs are so darn easy to use, and so inexpensive nowadays, why the heck would you ride without?

I splurged on custom-molded plugs back when CA forbid wearing earplugs that weren't "custom hearing orthotics" [legal language intended to exempt hearing-aids, but cut both ways: WTH should I lose my hearing because the law sez "You might miss the siren of an emergency vehicle" when my deaf friend can get a license and drive, regardless? Dumb@ss politicians...], but the foamies are now legal and regardless of what the law sez when I'm outside CA, my hearing is more precious than the cost of any citation.

I've been legally deaf [> 30% hearing loss in both ears] and thru amazing good fortune, my condition was noted & treated before it became permanent. If I'm riding longer than down the street to the corner grocery [call it a 10 min. ride], the plugs go in before I get on. Even then, it's such a ritual that I have to consciously decide not to wear them; usually it's because the errand at the other end will be so quick that I won't want to have to remove my helmet [it's a flippy] and will need to be able to hear or converse or otherwise interact w/ a sales drone or something.

Wear ear plugs, wear ear plugs, wear ear plugs. I just cannot fathom anyone not protecting their hearing when they have the choice...

But intake roar can still be wearisome when constantly exposed to it, even if wearing ear plugs. I'd say go for the modified stock airbox & spend your money on something more useful.

Ride on,

:mg:

Guest ratchethack

Using the FBF lidless conversion doesn't mean you have to use a FBF or K&N filter. Ratchet's yapping about nothing again.

(...sigh...) Ah, yes. Yet another trademarked Ryan Classic, "Ready...fire...AIM!" drive-by shooting off of the mouth followed by a bullet in the foot. Ryan, y'er feet must be full of lead by now. :grin:

Wot part of the following did you have the most trouble with, Ryan?

I think I'm safe in assuming that the FBF conversion bracket allows any stock or replacement filter just as my filter bracket does. In my case, a BMC worked just fine.

Keep up the great work, Ryan. Y'er still knockin' em clean outta the park. :lol:;)

This was surprisingly reminiscent of one of my all-time favorite exchanges, which I found so incredibly amusing, I just had to look it up:

Once again you show your ignorance, Ratch. The Archemedes Screw was designed to draw water UP from a well, against all forces of nature, as you have spewn. Depending on how the coil is wound (and I admit I have no idea and am not about to investigate) it may be forcing fluid UP the cable. Surface Tension (another Force of Nature) also plays a part in the wicking of fluid UP the cable. A blocked breather COULD also cause pressure in the trans to push fluid UP the cable. Likelyhood of that... well that's moot.

I don't think that anyone who has wrenched a bike would argue that lubing of cables is necessary, but your OPINION of what to lube with is certainly not the ONLY choice. WHAT to lube with is far less important than the lubing itself.

To insinuate that your way is the only way and all others are spawn by blithering idiots is completely ridiculous.

If the day ever comes that you post looking for a new speedo as yours is chunked with thick red goo, I will laugh like a hyena.

Rj

And my reply:

Well, Ryan! So generous of you to reply with an accurate characterization of y'erself in y'er last sentence above. This saves me the trouble, and allows me to keep within the Forum rules at the same time. How very nice 'n tidy. Y'er post above had inspired a couple of ideas of my own, but the more I think about it, y'er self-description seems to fit y'er personality much better. Nicely done.

Y'er track record of not having the foggiest notion about what y'er talking about in reply to my posts has been quite impressive, to say the least. In fact, I do b'lieve you've established quite a reputation for y'erself.

Now after all your criticism above, as sloppy and entirely unfounded as it is, QUOTE: ". . .I admit I have no idea and am not about to investigate", (!!) And with all y'er silly, useless, imaginary speculation about speedo cable lube migrating up the cable, unlike yourself, I speak from direct experience.

Per a previous post on this, I've actually had two speedo cables on two different V11 Guzzi's out, one a worm-drive cable, the other an angle drive, and I've determined the direction of rotation. I've lubed them both several times. As also confirmed on this Forum by at least one other poster, the direction of the helical winding of the cable and housing in each one works to migrate lube downward into the trans. This is NOT my opinion, it's a fact. I've got 30K miles on my Guzzi, lubing my speedo cable with RSH, and since he started using the same treatment after breaking his first cable (which he'd never lubed), my Pal has somewhere around 20K miles (two different mfgr. speedos - Veglia and ITI) on his LeMans without as much as a trace of lube migration into either of the instrument heads.

Like the vast majority of posters here, Ryan, I make a sincere effort to post accurate information that can be of real value to others. You might consider giving this a whirl some time yourself. Occasionally I get things wrong and am thankful for, and always welcome knowledgeable, well-informed correction. Would you kindly point out where I've said or even implied that "my way is the only way", or where I've ever either stated or even remotely suggested that there's only ONE kind of lube to use on a speedo cable?

Now if you've only imagined this, Ryan, and you've actually taken the trouble to submit a highly critical post that starts out by accusing me of showing MY IGNORANCE in an area in which you admittedly have no knowledge -- in fact, in an area that you quite evidently have nothing whatsoever of value to offer -- it would seem that you might've developed some kind of an oddly obsessive mental condition. :whistle:

In fact, Ryan, if you can't muster enough self control to mitigate y'er well-practiced tendency toward the "Ready!.....Fire!.....Aim!" school of shootin' y'er mouth off, and this is any indicator at all of y'er behavior in "the real world" -- well, you just might be well advised to see if you can find a good shrink or some kinda encounter group -- or something . . . . . :wacko:

EDIT: (cleaned up in compliance with Forum rules & International standards of decency) :whistle:

Ryan, seems to me you must be getting very close to achieving your aspirations of full hyena lately, despite the fact that my speedo instrument head is still 100% free from contamination from cable lube -- which I expect it to be on a permanent basis. ;)

Let's see. Hyena -- A mangy, flea-bitten, opportunistic carrion feeder, seldom brings down its own prey, makes a living from stealing scraps on the backs of others' efforts, skulks around in the shadows, head low to the ground, hideous appearance and blood-curdling, mocking laugh. Yeah, I'd say it's a perfect fit alright! :lol:

Tell you what, Ryan. This post earns you an award. Feel free to use it as your new avatar. It suits you quite a bit better than the evil clown, I'm sure you agree? ;)

post-1212-1174590328.jpg

Guest Nigelstephens

On my Sport I have tried the K&N individual filters on each throttle body that came with the bike. I hoped to show of my gorgeous white spring for the rear suspension and loose the plastic box. But it was so loud!

I had the stock box back in hours.

I did change to a K & N filter to replace stock element. Not sure if this was a wise step as a paper element traps to very fine particle size, but K&N say the oil traps fine particles too. Depends which sales blurb you choose to believe. But starting to get into the dreaded air filter argument.

On the noise side I tend to wear earplugs unless my journey is short. But most of mine are short in the week on the daily commute. So keeping plugs for the ride out at weekends.

I have found wearing ear plugs makes a nice difference. That annoying tappet noise and gearbox changes around town in the week and the all together tight, enjoyable faster riding trip at the weekend. What a difference. Its worth not wearing plugs to enjoy a new type of riding at the weekend.

I'm not sure that I need the extra power anyway or the better breathing. Its quite clear cut for me. Stay with stock airbox and the easy, wide, quite power of my Guzzi.

Ah failed to mention the MY16M that smooths out the fuel map. No flat spots.

Guest ratchethack

:rolleyes: If you want me to read your posts please make them smaller and get to the point quickly.

Rj

Oh, I'm so sorry, Ryan. How thoughtless of me to forget about your profound reading disability and childlike attention span. :(

Tell you wot, Ryan. From now on, just f'er you, I'll try real hard to use small words and sound bites, and I'll stick to very simple concepts that don't require any development -- and no abstract ideas -- as if talking with one of the kids who ride the short bus. :whistle:

But d'you reckon that'd provide enough of a Forum feeding/theft opportunity f'er a bona fide hyena?

Enquiring minds (well, you know). :P

See? That's better.

It isn't the size of the words I have trouble with. It's that you choose to use 5000 words when ten will do. You think I'VE got an appetite for attention?? :P Jovial!

And Momma sez I'm speshal 'cuz I go ta skule onna short bus. (I've tried to type this as close as I can get to your own collection of piss poor, made up contractions. Hope you will still understand.)

Shouldn't you be off somewhere calibrating your wrist? :lol:

Rj