Help identifying Astralite drive gear please!

cycles4fun

Hey guys, I need a little help in identifying this Astralite drive gear. I have looked at various Guzzi drive gears and nothing looks the same. I seriously do not believe they made a unique part for these wheels during the manufacture. I'm guessing they used a Guzzi part and modified it. The teeth are getting worn and I want to start looking for a back-up. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Mike

ebay028.jpg

ebay027.jpg

I do not think there was an Astralite drive gear.

If you wanted to fit an Astralite, you had to take a stock Guzzi spline plate and have the cush-drive vanes machined off the back and the bolt holes countersunk as shown.

The number of teeth is 30 and the inside diameter is 2.010".

Hey Greg I can perform machine work as necessary. What part should I be starting with? Model and or part number would be a great help. Thanks again.

Mike

try 14535203 from a LM 1000. New from Guzzi, it's about $190 in the US.

Your are losing the cush drive in this installation. This will greatly accelerate wear on all the splines in your driveline. For this reason, it might be best to start with a new one, even though it is expensive. Also, consider this in your riding style. You can dramaticaly reduce wear on all these splines by using your brakes, rather than compression braking, to slow and stop the bike, and be as smooth as possible with the throttle.

I have a LM 1000 with Astralites. You will be amazed how much better your suspension works for having shed about 25 lb of unsptung weight compared to the Guzzi cast lead wheels of the '70s and '80s.

try 14535203 from a LM 1000. New from Guzzi, it's about $190 in the US.

Your are losing the cush drive in this installation. This will greatly accelerate wear on all the splines in your driveline. For this reason, it might be best to start with a new one, even though it is expensive. Also, consider this in your riding style. You can dramaticaly reduce wear on all these splines by using your brakes, rather than compression braking, to slow and stop the bike, and be as smooth as possible with the throttle.

I have a LM 1000 with Astralites. You will be amazed how much better your suspension works for having shed about 25 lb of unsptung weight compared to the Guzzi cast lead wheels of the '70s and '80s.

Yea I'm aware of the punshment on the drive train from the lack of a cush drive. These wheels have 52,000 miles on them and like you said I use great care to avoid unnecessary driveline shock. I recently replaced the rear drive pinion shaft, coupler, and drive shaft as they were pretty beat up with hardly any teeth left. It also beats up the clutch drive gear splines. I updated to the deep splines years ago for greater surface area and longer durability. The bike is all apart at the moment and I pulled the gearbox down for the hell of it and have a look inside, thankfully there is no visible wear on the gear dogs which is a relief as mine is an SE with the rare close ratio strait cut gears. As you say the low weight of these hoops are amazing! I'm running a 3.5 X 17 FR and 4.0 X 18 R. I did not weight them, however recently I had the wheels off my my Triumph Daytona 675 for powder coating and at the same time had the Astralites stripped down for painting. Comparing the wheels side by side I would have to call it pretty close with the edge going to the Astralites! I weighed my Lemans a couple of years ago and with a full tank of fuel (5 gallons) it came in at 493LBS full wet. I imagine thats around 450 dry which is pretty impressive. It's a bunch lighter than a new Lemans and faster as well! I have a vintage CB750 Honda and it feels like a schoolbus compared to the Goose! Then again the Goose feels like a schoolbus compared to the 675 which I already hacked off 24 lbs! Talk about a featherweight. Oh well their like children and I love them all for what they are.

Ride safe

Mike