Tranmission return spring question - Parts WHO ?

Crooz

I've flip flopped like 5 times now in the past two months about selling my 02 LeMans with 4500 miles. My primary concern and reason for selling it now is the possible breakage of the gear return spring in the transmission and/plus the nearest Guzzi mechanic is about 60 miles away. The mfg date of my bike was in 2001 so it is not one of the later 2002's that had the redesign.

I would like to hear from experienced long time Guzzi folks... your best guess as to if & when my return spring will break.

Thanks in advance for your opinions....

:huh2: Confussed Crooz :huh2:

It's surprisingly an easy job accually. I did mine in a parking lot and if I had done a little more preparing for it I'm sure it would've only taken me an hour or two.

As for when this might happen :huh2: If youre really worried about just change it out now. That way you beat it to the punch

Ciao

Z

Ditto......

Too easy..

I have a spare spring in my tank bag but with 27000 mi I think

I'm not a candidate...

I went in and had a look around...my spring was loosey goosey so

I didn't bother with it but it's easy access...

There's lots here about the procedure..

Starter off...tranny cover off...your there.

Crooz,

Mine broke one at 3k & 7k miles. I put in new pawl arm (15mm boss to replace existing 16mm) & spring, now up to almost 20k miles on them.

AFAIK we don't know exactly which bikes are affected other than to say 02 types.

It's a fairly easy job, plenty help here. Once fixed should be good for a long time.

I'm surprised you'd consider selling over this if your happy with bike otherwise. A lot of bikes will have the odd weak spot. At least this one is well known & can be prevented by an easy(ish) fix.

Nice avatar pic !

KB :sun:

Crooz,

Mine broke one at 3k & 7k miles. I put in new pawl arm (15mm boss to replace existing 16mm) & spring, now up to almost 20k miles on them.

I'm surprised you'd consider selling over this if your happy with bike otherwise. A lot of bikes will have the odd weak spot. At least this one is well known & can be prevented by an easy(ish) fix.

Yea.. that's the only reason, as I love the bike otherwise. I called the best Guzzi Mechanic in this area of the state to inquire about replacing it. He basically told me not to spend the money, just ride the sucker until it breaks.

Regardless of this... if a knowledgable mechanic was close by, I would take it now and get it changed out. This guy however is 60 miles away plus on the opposite side of Charlotte, so a REAL hassle to get to.

Hello Crooz,

My Scura's shift spring broke at around 4500 miles. It truly is an easy fix. Took me about an hour.

BTW, some of us would kill for a dealership only 60 miles away. :food: My nearest dealer is over 200 miles and 4 hours away. :huh2:

Good luck :ninja:

"I would like to hear from experienced long time Guzzi folks..."

That I am not, but I'll still reply.

Mine broke and was replaced (with 15mm boss) at MPH. Many folks have done it themselves. I wouldn't sell the bike because of the spring issue. Have yours replaced at your 6000 mile service, or have it all done a bit early for peace of mind!

:2c:

Ooops.

I see where you decided.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10651

Best of luck.

It is easy to check to see if you have the problem.

Drain the gear oil.

Pull the starter.

Remove gear box side cover.

Inspect boss and spring relationship.

If spring tightens firmly around boss, then you have the problem.

If there is freeplay and no binding, you got lucky and do not need to replace.

Yea.. that's the only reason, as I love the bike otherwise. I called the best Guzzi Mechanic in this area of the state to inquire about replacing it. He basically told me not to spend the money, just ride the sucker until it breaks.

Regardless of this... if a knowledgable mechanic was close by, I would take it now and get it changed out. This guy however is 60 miles away plus on the opposite side of Charlotte, so a REAL hassle to get to.

Dude, the spring is like, $5, and it takes a couple of hours max to do the deed. Having the chance to do it in my garage or being forced to carry a spare with me and all the tools every time I leave the house, so I could fix it on the road? No question- fix it now and just ride.

Any mechanic that would recommend you ride it until it breaks to save money owns the local towing company and hopes you will have to call...

No repair is cheaper in an emergency than as a planned proceedure. Do it now.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

I'm mechanically inclined when I want to be. In fact, I just changed-out 4 coil springs, 2 struts, 2 shocks, and caster camber plates on the wife GT Mustang. My concern for the GUZZI tannny job was the alignment (locations of the gears and internals) when reassembling.

OK, I've speed read many of the OLD posting concerning ordering replacment parts (new stronger spring & 15mm post).... WHAT"S THE LATEST on WHO CAN NOW supply these parts? (and their phone #'s)

UPDATE: I just called Cannon (Bonnie) and ordered a new spring. NOW, Who can supply the correct Rachet arm with the 15mm pawl? (and how much $).

Thanks for the opinions guys.

I'm mechanically inclined when I want to be. In fact, I just changed-out 4 coil springs, 2 struts, 2 shocks, and caster camber plates on the wife GT Mustang. My concern for the GUZZI tannny job was the alignment (locations of the gears and internals) when reassembling.

OK, I've speed read many of the OLD posting concerning ordering replacment parts (new stronger spring & 15mm post).... WHAT"S THE LATEST on WHO CAN NOW supply these parts? (and their phone #'s)

UPDATE: I just called Cannon (Bonnie) and ordered a new spring. NOW, Who can supply the correct Rachet arm with the 15mm pawl? (and how much $).

I checked with my local dealer, and the rachet arm was about $78. I checked my new spring- stronger wire, bigger loop- agianst the old post and there is no binding at all. Actually, I have more clearance with this new spring on a 16mm post than I would have had with the old spring on a 15mm post. I just used the old pawl. Time will tell, but seeing is believing and I have no doubts about my repair.

As to putting it back together, I have pics on my old post and there are others that will guide you. The main thing is the index dots line up when you are in second, not neutral. If you have a digital camera take a pick when you remove the cover and use it as a guide.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I had thought about photographing prior to disassembly.

I may tackle the swap-out next week when my new spring arrives. I will rarely ride this bike farther than 90 miles from home, so I could wait until it breaks.

Before I bought the 02 Lemans, I had heard about tranny problems with 2000 model Sports, etc... I guess it fair to say that all V11 transmissions from 2000 to 2002 are suspect? Even on Guzzi cruisers?

Crooz-

60 miles to a competent dealer is actually CLOSE in relative terms.

There are a lot of states that don't have ANY dealers, competent or not.

I bought my V11 from the closest dealer in VA -- 85 miles away -- but they are not competent to do anything mechanical on the bike.

I now take it to Speeds in Maryland -- they are competent, but just about as far away.

I agree with what has been said - buy the parts (heck, when you find them, order 2 so you always have a spare "just in case") and do a preemptive fix.

4,500 miles is barely broken in. Ride it to your heart's content!

:2c:

My spring went at only 4,000 miles, which is rubbish. However, I'd endorse everything everyone else has said about it being an easy job - it doesn't involve any messing about with the gearbox internals, just the actual selector mechanism. Being a cheapskate I just took a file to the 16mm boss and filed it down to 15 mm. It's probably not exactly round, but I don't suppose that matters - it's just to make sure the coils don't lock up on it. Time will tell. But why can't Guzzi get gearbox springs right? I used to have a T3, and that went through centralising springs every 10,000 miles or so. Which was actually much worse, as getting to it was a horrendous job. Plus it left a bit of broken spring swimming around in the box..... I eventually ended up modding it in true Guzzi style by putting the spring on the outside, which worked brilliantly up until the bike got nicked. Anyway, enough of this rambling.