Head Scratch

BrianG

Can someone post up a picture of the routing of their rear shock reservoir line. I'm swapping in the Penske, but I'll be darned if I can recall or figure out how this goes on! :homer:

Guest ratchethack

Can someone post up a picture of the routing of their rear shock reservoir line. I'm swapping in the Penske, but I'll be darned if I can recall or figure out how this goes on! :homer:

Brian, I have neither a photo, nor have I installed a Penske. But there doesn't seem to be a flood of responses, so maybe a partially-qualified response will be helpful? I've recently installed a custom Wilbers shock and had to de-puzzle this a bit myself for adequate clearance to ensure no exposure of the line to contact and abrasion through the full range of motion of the swingarm.

Roughly speaking, the line exits the forward end of the shock from a top-mounted banjo that points left and rearward at approx. a 8:00 angle. I had to twist the line itself to get the right curves, and had to SLIGHTLY back off the banjos on both ends to move the banjos to get the angles right. Of course too loose = leakage of fluid. I lost no more'n a few drops by being careful when repositioning the banjos. The line enters the compression/rebound damping reservior/unit from the approx. 5:00 position, the banjo on the unit being at the front end, and mounted in the stock reservior bracket.

Hope this helps. :luigi:

I don't have the answer, but my Penske arrived last Friday, but with the wrong eyelet size :angry:

The eyelets measured 0.5" but came with fittings for a 10mm bolt, but the bolts are 12mm.

After several exchanges of email, the dealer recommended I go directly through Penske, so I won't have to mail the shock to dealer who mails to penske who mails to dealer who mails to me.

I hope they can simply send me some 12mm X 22 mm fittings.

Did you have better luck with the eyelets?

As for the Penske cable, I am a little concerned I'll have to change the direction the hose fitting points....I hope it does not result in a leak if I turn it :doh:

I'll see if I can take a photo of cable routing.

Camera battery is dead :(

Brian,

The way I installed the Penske rear shock was remove the seat, side covers and air box to gain access to the shock mounting bolts. The fit was alittle tight but not impossible (mainly tight with the air box). When I removed the shock from my bike, I unbolted it just the way it was shipped, so it should fit. :huh2:

Can you take another picture farther away from the bike?

Mike

Ahh,

Ok after looking at the pictures again, you have turn the remote 180 degrees so the mounting bracket that is in your left hand faces toward the rear. The twist has to be in the hose (like rolling up a garden hose). There will be some resistance in the hose (steel braided). The direction of rotation (right or left) depends on where the hose needs to be routed (for the air box?). So try it in one direction and if it isn't right, go the other. The difference between the Sachs shock mounting and the Penske is that the Sach's remote hose lays down in a straight line, where as the Penske hose must be twisted into place. Once you get the remote bolts started, you will be alright.

Hope this helps,

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh,

Ok after looking at the pictures again, you have turn the remote 180 degrees so the mounting bracket that is in your left hand faces toward the rear. The twist has to be in the hose (like rolling up a garden hose). There will be some resistance in the hose (steel braided). The direction of rotation (right or left) depends on where the hose needs to be routed (for the air box?). So try it in one direction and if it isn't right, go the other. The difference between the Sachs shock mounting and the Penske is that the Sach's remote hose lays down in a straight line, where as the Penske hose must be twisted into place. Once you get the remote bolts started, you will be alright.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Got it, Mike! I just wondered which "twist" was needed. I ended up routing the hose to the remote between the spine and the airbox, tight to the spine. Should be good!

Thanks!

Great Brian, I knew it fit, just hard to visualize in my head since the bike was parted out over 1.5 years ago:P

Mike

Got it, Mike! I just wondered which "twist" was needed. I ended up routing the hose to the remote between the spine and the airbox, tight to the spine. Should be good!

Thanks!