V11 pilot sports

Guest jim fordham

Guest jim fordham

Just fitted a pair of pilot sports to the old girl and got it back on the road (1st time since October).

WOW what a difference , so much better then the metz that where on from the factory.

One thing I have noticed , when I got in last night I had gone off the edge of the back tyre on the right hand side But had loads left on the front. I was having some Major fun through a set off round abouts with some guy on a R1 , and the rear was squirming about a lot. Any ideas , I don't think i am quite set up yet suspension wise. I am not a small chap which might not help. (6"2 , 15 stone) :race:

I was trying to decide on either the Pilot Sports or the Pirelli Diablo Corsa's. After reading a bunch of reviews, I decided to go with the Pirelli's. After putting a couple of hundred miles now on the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's, I can honestly say they are the best tire I've ever put on a bike. They also seem to warm up pretty quick.

Very confidence inspiring. :race:

If the tire is squirming around a lot, it leads me to think it's pressure might be a bit off. Either that or the shelf preserver they put on the tire was still in the process of wearing off. Just a thought.

Funny. My Nero Corsa had a new set of Diablos on it when I bought it last year.

I didn't care for 'em. Made the bike steer like a truck.

I put a set of Metzeler Z6 Roadtechs on it for a long trip I was taking. The bike steered much quicker.

I put a set of Metzeler Z6 Roadtechs on it for a long trip I was taking. The bike steered much quicker.

Idem ditto here :bier:

Anyway, don't try Dunlop D218.

This tyre has only intended to be worn by Jappo bikes only.

The V11 has too much torque for the tyre. This tyre cannot handle the too heavy power instantly projected to the wheel.

Odd...I find the steering very light and precise.

....One thing I have noticed , when I got in last night I had gone off the edge of the back tyre on the right hand side But had loads left on the front. I was having some Major fun through a set off round abouts with some guy on a R1 , and the rear was squirming about a lot. Any ideas , I don't think i am quite set up yet suspension wise. I am not a small chap which might not help. (6"2 , 15 stone) :race:

I think rear tyre edges quicker than front due to width difference front/rear. 100f/110r on Tonti get to edge pretty much same time. With 120f/180r, rear gets to edge long time before front.

Squirming about could be pressures but the V11 tends to do this anyhow when pushed: lot of wt thru a flimsy s/a & crude suspension design (not helped if not set up right). Were tyres scrubbed to edges? Warmed up? Like Paul says Pilot Sports are old type & I think were sport touring? Sports touring tyres can overheat if pushed hard for an extended period....like continuous fast use thru roundabouts, where you're running a lot on the shoulder.

...Diablos on it when I bought it last year...I didn't care for 'em. Made the bike steer like a truck...

I found Diablos pretty good - stable, decent grip, consistent & progressive & at the limit. Sure they're not the fastest steering, but well suited to the Guzzi. Guess it depends what you're after.

KB :sun:

Odd...I find the steering very light and precise.

Maybe it's a difference in bars.

Wide tubular bars on you Ballabio vs. clipons on my Nero Corsa ?

I know a lot of people use the Diablo. I just didn't like 'em on the Nero.

I love the Bridgestone BT-014 on my Sport 1100. (well except for the tread life).

The Metzeler Z6 has been a good compromise on the Nero since I use it for SPORT-touring duties...

Guest jim fordham

I hated the metz sport tec m1 which came with the bike , very little feed back.

I did want the diablos but the pilots came up £80 cheaper. They are the soft compound sports/track version.

What tyre pressures do you run. The V11 is a heavy bike.

I have never been 100% with the high bars , I find it up sets the bike as I move my weight around going into corners , The bike needs a lot of input when you really push it on hard. It will stay with trick jap bike through the twisties but needs a lot of effort.

i'm running Dunlop Qualifier's with a 170 rear. Truly awe inspiring , my previous 208's got eaten up pretty badly at the last track day, the Qualifier's grip foreverare completely predictable and wore really well

I installed the pilot powers on my 04 lemans last summer and I was absolutely amazed with the improvement over the bridgestone BTO 20's. The bike feels 100 pounds lighter in the corners, and the level of grip is more than I'll ever need. This was the best $$ i have spent on the bike since my Ti exhaust system.

I installed the pilot powers on my 04 lemans last summer and I was absolutely amazed with the improvement over the bridgestone BTO 20's. The bike feels 100 pounds lighter in the corners, and the level of grip is more than I'll ever need. This was the best $$ i have spent on the bike since my Ti exhaust system.

+1!

The BT 020's made the bike steer like a dump truck with no power steering and a Club on the steering wheel. I replaced them with Pilot Roads and the improvement was amazing; better turning and good in the wet. Only had the Pilot Roads for 1500 miles when something bit a huge chunk out of the rear tire :angry: Went up to the Pilot Power and they feel even better!