Shockproof Heavy

Guest Nigelstephens

Any reason you folks see to not use the RLSH for both the trans and bevel box year round? I live in a fairly hot part of California and was planning on running the the heavy in the trans and bevel/carc in my Lemans and Griso.

Thanks for any feedback

Jon

I run it year round and have seen no ill effects in weather from 40*F to over 100*.

Guest ratchethack

Any reason you folks see to not use the RLSH for both the trans and bevel box year round? I live in a fairly hot part of California and was planning on running the the heavy in the trans and bevel/carc in my Lemans and Griso.

Thanks for any feedback

Jon

Jon, Shockproof Heavy is the recommended lube year round for both trans and bevel drive in temperate climates, which I believe means anywhere in the US with the possible exception of the region north of the 70th parallel near Barrow, Alaska, well within the Arctic Circle, where riding Guzzis may be mostly limited to one's living room for most of the year. ;) No added moly necessary as numerously posted. I verified these items personally with a call to Redline at their WW HQ in Benicia, CA. Others around the globe have called regional offices and received the same recommendation.

If you're interested in verifying this for yourself, or have any other Q's, here's a toll free number to Redline corporate offices in Benicia, (800) 624-7958. Office hours Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST. Please give my regards to Dave. He's the guy in the back of the Technical Department with the Redline pocket protector. :sun:

Jon, Shockproof Heavy is the recommended lube year round for both trans and bevel drive in temperate climates, which I believe means anywhere in the US with the possible exception of the region north of the 70th parallel near Barrow, Alaska, well within the Arctic Circle, where riding Guzzis may be mostly limited to one's living room for most of the year. ;) No added moly necessary as numerously posted. I verified these items personally with a call to Redline at their WW HQ in Benicia, CA. Others around the globe have called regional offices and received the same recommendation.

If you're interested in verifying this for yourself, or have any other Q's, here's a toll free number to Redline corporate offices in Benicia, (800) 624-7958. Office hours Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST. Please give my regards to Dave. He's the guy in the back of the Technical Department with the Redline pocket protector. :sun:

Someday I'll have to give this guy a call.

If you read their documentation, we should be using the standard Redline gear oil

"

Synthetic Gear Oils

Designed to provide the highest degree of protection and greatest efficiency for your drivetrain. Red Line provides a complete line of drivetrain lubricants which are optimized for differential, transmission, or transaxle use over a wide range of temperatures. "

You can't do better than the highest and greatest, but then they offer the shockproof range of gear oils,

"Recommended for heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, Off Road racing and problem gearboxes. Offers a "best of both worlds" balance of relatively low drag and the utmost in protection."

Is utmost protection greater than the highest degree of protection???

The shockproof light sounds like the right viscosity:

"A unique gear oil designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles which see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions). It has excellent low-temperature flow which allows easier shifting when cold. May be used to obtain maximum power transfer in racing differentials which do not see high temperatures. Similar to a 75W140 gear oil, but with the lower internal friction of an SAE 30 motor oil.

Used in two-stroke and four-stroke motocross transmissions (often mixed in equal parts with SuperLight ShockProof™ Gear Oil).

Used in most road-racing differentials with moderate power and dogring racing transaxles."

While the shockproof heavy sounds too heavy, who needs a 75W250??? but maybe our bike is more like a harley than a motocross bike:

"Recommended for heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, Off Road racing and problem gearboxes. The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90.

Recommended for Big-Twin transmissions (Twin Cam, '84-up EVO, Knucklehead, Shovelhead, Panhead). Big-Twin primary chaincase should use our MTL product."

After reading that, I have no doubt about the shockproof heavy being fine for tropical climates. :grin:

• 1 month later...
Guest h8chains

Just did mine today, and I'm convinced! The heavy duty stuff works well for me. It shifts without a miss!

As for the rear, just used the regular gear oil.

Just did mine today, and I'm convinced! The heavy duty stuff works well for me. It shifts without a miss!

As for the rear, just used the regular gear oil.

I think the rear benefits even more!