Shifter Spring Replacement

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I know this topic has been covered before, so I apologize for going down this path again... but the 3rd shifter spring on my '02 Le Mans recently bit the dust and I think this time I'm gonna take a crack at replacing it myself... it looks like it might be a continuing problem and warranties don't last forever...

First off, can someone give a quick description of how the spring is replaced? Any tricks or head-scratchers that I should be aware of? Any special tools required, and does gear oil need to be replaced in the process? How long should it take to muddle through the replacement?

Also, I understand MG has fixed this issue with the '03 models, so does that improved spring (assuming that's the fix) fit the '01-'02 models?

thanks for any info you can provide... :thumbsup:

MAKE SURE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL ( Not easy when it's stuck in 3rd cos the selector spring's broke!)

Detach remote shock reservoir from it's mount bracket.

Remove starter motor (2 bolts thru bell housing, try not to short live cable whilst detaching), detach neutral cable.

Detach shifter arm from shaft.

Drain gbox oil. Plug is above collector box, I used tin foil to funnel oil.

Undo 11(?) (5mm) socket cap bolts and remove selector cover (cover is stuck w/gasket cement, I used a draw hammer - gently!).

Remove 2 selector gears (retained by circlips) & mechanism to access spring.

Clean up gasket mating surfaces.

Make sure sliding dogs are equidistant from gears on shafts, (makes engagement of selector forks with gears in cover easy) - gbox in neutral.

Apply gasket cement & replace cover, oil etc...

It's fairly straight forward, but a bit fiddly. Took me about 4 hours but once you you've done it, it's probably a 2hr job.

Trouble is...how can you be sure new spring is a good one!

Best of luck.

KB, Wales.