V11 engine exchange

marcnils

Hello !

At this moment I have replaced my V11 -1999 broken engine with a 2003 Engine, when I start the engine it runs bad, backfire on the left cylinder, and don't idle, where can you start to troubleshoot ?

compression is good

One other thing, the revcounter was broken I have replaced it with a used one and when the bike is idling the revcounter shows 8000 rpm... Have I connected the wires wrong ??

//Regards Marcus

Guest Nogbad

Are you using the old 1999 ECU or the 2003 ECU? You should be using the later ECU with the later engine as a starting point. Same goes for all the sensors. (IMHO) I wouldn't mix FI parts between the two engines, i.e. use the 2003 throttles, injectors etc.

Also, swap the plugs and leads to eliminate these items, and make sure the throttle bodies are balanced and that the TPS is more or less right. (Once you get a good idle and reasonable run everything can be accurately tuned later).

Obviously the tach should not show 8000 rpm. Definitely check the wiring carefully, I don't know whether the 1999 loom uses different colours to the 2003 loom. Callison has all the wiring diagrams you will ever need.

Just disconnect the tach and check whether this was the reason. Personally I do not think that all the sensors and the ecu should be changed to fit the new engine.

Probably you have some wires jammed deep in the internals of your bike. Try to remember what you had apart and how it was connected to each other. This will help. If not, check the phase sensor on he timing gear. Maybe it's misaligned, dirty or simply broken (after you have knocked the frame on it...)

Hubert

Thanks for the reply, I'm using all 1999 sensors and ECU, injectors etc, I have already tried to switch old and new (sensor was deliverd with the engine) phase sensors with the same result. Next step will be to remove revcounter.

//Marcus

I have now switched side of the spark plugs and the motorcykle runns better no backfire, and runs on idle, but it seems to be slow and doesn't respond good when you rev it up, I haven't looked at the revcounter yet, what can you look more into ?

//Marcus

I have now switched side of the spark plugs and the motorcykle runns better no backfire, and runs on idle, but it seems to be slow and doesn't respond good when you rev it up, I haven't looked at the revcounter yet, what can you look more into ?

//Marcus

Hi Marcus.

I got my V11 from a friend that had been ill and the bike hadn't been ridden for two years although he did start it and run it just for the satisfaction of hearing the engine.

When it came to me it would barely move. It would spit and pop and only run on one cylinder. I assumed there was a major problem in the injection or with the PCIII. I spent days looking for the problem and never found it. What I did do was run a couple bottles of Techtron injector cleaner through the bike and foul three sets of spark plugs. With each tank of gas it ran better and now is back to normal. The current plugs have been in close to 1000 miles and are looking perfectly normal. What a joy.

We always tend to think of the worst first and maybe more so in your situation where you have done an engine swap. It is most often the simple things that trip us up. I wouldn't be surprised that your tach problem comes from a poor connection in the wires.

Hope you are up and running soon.

Dennis. :race: