Rear wheel spindle washer

rossoandy

I have had my V1100 rear wheel out so long I think I've mislaid that thin washer that fits....????

Were does it fit!! I've forgotten!!

I put the rear wheel in, torqued up the spindle and hey presto..the wheel was nowlocked up.

ding!! aah canna remember putting in that thin washer thingy....but where is it!

Just hope I ait done any damage to wheel bearing by overloading...

I will slip the wheel out tmrw and check things.. :angry:

I have had my V1100 rear wheel out so long I think I've mislaid that thin washer that fits....????

I put the rear wheel in, torqued up the spindle and hey presto..the wheel was nowlocked up.

ding!! aah canna remember putting in that thin washer thingy....but where is it!

Hi Rossoandy,

Perhaps you are missing the (roughly) 14mm long axle spacer that fits between the inside of the bevel box and the outside right wheel bearing?

Hopefully you found the problem and fixed it by now!

Cheers,

Steve

Guest ratchethack

Andy, there's a thin washer of approx. 35 mm OD that goes on the outboard side of the bevel drive. It keeps weather and road crud out of the needle bearing just inside. I believe that it's also part of the "stack" under load of the spindle nut torque, and I think it may prevent the swingarm from contacting the bevel box casting. When it's in there, there is approx. 2 mm clearance between the bevel box casting and the swingarm. Without it, there may be little or no clearance at all. :huh2:

Andy, there's a thin washer of approx. 35 mm OD that goes on the outboard side of the bevel drive. It keeps weather and road crud out of the needle bearing just inside. I believe that it's also part of the "stack" under load of the spindle nut torque, and I think it may prevent the swingarm from contacting the bevel box casting. When it's in there, there is approx. 2 mm clearance between the bevel box casting and the swingarm. Without it, there may be little or no clearance at all. :huh2:

yep thats the one! Too tired tonight to look for it though...must be in workshop somewhere!

thanks ratchet.....hope its nothing more huh

Hi Rossoandy,

Perhaps you are missing the (roughly) 14mm long axle spacer that fits between the inside of the bevel box and the outside right wheel bearing?

Cheers,

Steve

Thank steve but pretty sure its in there ok, of course this is first time i've fitted whel since bevel box rebuild so......

As I mentioned can't remember seeing the thin washer ratchet mentions in his post.

Not directly on point but reminds me of what I did this past weekend. Got the Guz together and started her up - Wonderful!

Did my usual end of project clean up - sweep floor and DAMMIT there's this inch diameter, 1/4 inch thick rubber disk on the floor. What have I missed?? Where does this part go?? I don't remember it at all..

Check parts book. Check here - looking madly. Spend most of the day trying to figure out what the hell it is...

Frustrated - crack beer. Sit and fume. Stare at bloody bike. Then it hits me... that's the bit I cut off the sidestand bumper nearly a year ago... :homer::homer::homer::blush:

cheers,

Rj

Hi Rossoandy,

Cheers,

Steve

Good possibility.

If the roughly 14mm axle spacer is omitted the wheel would definately lock up when torqued. But if the thin washer is omitted, the wheel should turn freely.

But as Ratchet indicated, if there is no washer between the needle bearings and the head of the axle, the washer RossoAndy found is likely the one.

I suppose there are other possible causes of the wheel not turning, like the spacer between the wheel bearings is too short and the bearings are now shot, or maybe...heck, I don't know. My money is still on the ~14mm spacer having been omitted, or maybe it fell between the wheel and rear drive, if that is even possible. I know I dropped mine there and I could not get the axle assembly together at all. Maybe the V1100 is a little different.

Guest ratchethack

Brian, I've got it, and I can just barely see it by looking closely at the outside of the bevel drive. It looks like it fits into a recess in the rubber seal at its periphery. Without it, it looks like the boss on the inboard side of the swingarm fits into the recess in the rubber seal, but the boss looks to be about 2 mm in diameter short of filling the recess in the seal. Looks like not having the washer would make this an entry point for water to me. :doh:

Now I'm looking at an exploded view of the bevel box for '99-'01, and it shows the washer alright -- right next to the needle bearing that takes the load of the "floating" motion of the parallelogram hub. The washer's the most outboard item in the drawing. In this drawing, it doesn't appear that it's clamped by the "stack" under the spindle nut, but free to rotate with the bevel drive. Again, it's only function appears to be to seal off the needle bearing inside.

There's no washer shown under the nut at the other end of the spindle (different drawing).

You might want to look into it. Seems to me someone else discovered they were without this washer awhile back, and it had allowed the needle bearing to rust up. :(

You might look at it this way: Better to lose a right-side washer than a left-side nut. :o

Ratchet, note that I said I don't have a flat washer on the bevel-box side of the the axle (outside the swing arm).

Parts manual Drawing 32 (Rear Wheel) shows the axle (spindle) passing first through the wheel-to-bevel box spacer (#18), and

Parts manual Drawing 19 (Rear Transmission) shows a washer (#33) that I find to be in the region between the swingarm and the bevel box, not outboard of the swingarm.

Are we both saying the same thing differently??

Also, Drawing 32 shows a washer (#19) under the nut at the end of the axle (spindle), which on my bike was found on the outboard of the swingarm, under the nut.

Do you think the way I found this assembled is incorrect?

Guest ratchethack

Sorry, Brian. My bad. I hadn't picked up on the (outside the swing arm) part. I don't have one outside the swingarm either. Andy and I were talking about the washer that goes between the bevel box and swingarm. That's wot I was referring to.

The drawing I'm looking at for '99 - '01 bevel box does not show, nor does my bike have a washer under the nut at the end of the spindle.

As always, there seems to be a limitless number of possibilities in all directions on wot you might get with a PO'd bike -- or one serviced (meddled with :o ) by nearly anyone, f'er that matter. :huh2:

Another superb argument for doing 100% of your own service, n'est-ce pas? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!!!!

I've solved it!!

Upon inspection of the manual and the tips here.....I had ommited the spacer between the bevel box and wheel!

It was later found residing in the box of displaced bevel box parts!

Upon fitting alll was well! hooray! :D

Quick ride around the block and all is well apart from the steering feels wierd....spose better check those tyre pressures huh...last done around seven months ago... :homer: