Fuel hose diameter?

Gio

Hello everyone - great to see the forum is back up and running again!

Next job on the V11S is the re-location of the filter/fuel pump (I had a couple of almost no-start "vapour locks" this last weekend whilst riding in near 30 C temperatures...

I have some of the regular 5/16 " from my dealer, but am unable to locate a source of the larger diameter (braided line which supplies the pump) - I believe this to be 7/16" - nearest I can find is 3/8 "

Do you think this is large enough?

Gio

I can't remember if I ended up with 1/2" initially(maybe it was 3/8" I forget), but after all my fiddling and converting to the high-performance(read: expensive) fittings from my local "speed shop" I believe I used an AN-8 special racing fuel hose. It's pricey by Aeroquip, but damn... it's indestructable stuff :thumbsup:

But just go get some 3/8" and 1/2" and see which fits best. I bet your local auto-parts shop will give you a few inches of each for free to check out.

At this point all my fittings have been pretty much changed over to AN(Army Navy) spec stuff, except for the various "barbs"(nipples).

al

Next job on the V11S is the re-location of the filter/fuel pump (I had a couple of almost no-start "vapour locks" this last weekend whilst riding in near 30 C temperatures...

....BTW, although I personally think relocating the pump is good idea, keep in mind that I haven't been able to verify that it's effective, and even if so how much additional benefit it provides over just shielding and grooming the hoses.

Mine is an "experiment in progress" :lol:

So if you are experiencing the VL problem consistently, unless you really want to relocate the pump, you might just want to try shielding the fuel-lines first and see what that gets you. It could save a lot of effort.

Just a thought.

al

Hi Al,

Point taken but even if switching the positions of the pump and filter proves not to cure the VL problem, I would still prefer to have the pump exposed to less heat than it is in its current location as I figure this can only prolong the life of what is a critical component and (presumably) expensive part to replace...

Nothing wrong with experimenting as this is often how progress is made. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Gio

No worries ^_^

I just wanted to be clear to all that might read the thread that moving the pump has not yet proven to be an effective fix, nor a long-term reliable modification. ....just a standard disclaimer :rolleyes:

However, I think it's a good idea, hence my attempt :P

We'll see how it holds up over time, and if the VL issue rears it head again.

al