Loose Instrument Cluster

Bruno

OK - I don't post often because there's so much information available so I've been mostly benefiting from the postings. I do thank you all very much. So anyway, here's my small contribution:

Obviously, I've been suffering from the loose cluster syndrome. Sometimes the upper portion of the cluster mount would come loose, but more infuriating was when the lower mount would come loose since this half is only bonded to a flat surface. I tried everything to no avail so I finally got tired of it so decided to do something about it.

I removed the three mounts and took off the remaining brass portion from the rubber using a utility knife. I then took a nail, heated up with a torch, and by holding the rubber mount with a pair of pliers, and of course holding the nail with pliers as well, melt a hole through the center of the spacer. It’s a bit stinky so make sure you do this part outside.

Obtain (3) bolts, approximately 1” long, of the same diameter as the original, with corresponding washers ands self-locking nuts. Install the bolts in the cluster graphite plate and insert the rubber mount on the other side. If you used a nail of a smaller diameter than the bolt, the rubber should retain itself. Re-install the instrument cluster and secure using the washers and nuts. Torque lightly until the nuts are fully engaged. Don’t need more. Works great.

I’ve not had a problem since.

After experimenting with various adhesives over the past year, I also gave up and resorted to "through-bolting". Seems a shame. Guess Italian roads are smoother than those here in Northern California. I understand this solution is common enough that Bodger points are not awarded. :race: