Broken stud

raz

That HMB price is for a pair, but without valves, springs etc. Since my Sporti valves won't fit, I guess that will be very expensive in the end. I sent them a mail though, thanks Paul.

Luckily I was wrong, the Sporti heads are identical with the V11 heads. This is good news, it raises the possibility to find a used head if needed.

... The last resort now is the shop will try to mill it out (milling the aluminum around it), if it's thick enough so we don't end up in the exhaust port. From there I don't know.....

Maybe it's the english, maybe my imagination, but that sounds not very promissing. Are you sure you can trust them? If the bolt should realy be to hard for the average mechanic then tell him to use the hard metal tip stone drill version. After grinding them to the correct tip shape they make wholes in nearly everything.

Hubert

Maybe it's the english, maybe my imagination, but that sounds not very promissing. Are you sure you can trust them? If the bolt should realy be to hard for the average mechanic then tell him to use the hard metal tip stone drill version. After grinding them to the correct tip shape they make wholes in nearly everything.

Hubert

Yeah it scares the hell out of me. I think I will go for EDM instead, if I only can find someone that is capable of that.

Raz,

After many repeated tires, it is quite likely an extractor is broken off.

At that point, EDM is your only option.

Spark erode is a phrase I had never heard, but sounds like the same thing.

Check with machine shops, or industrial supply/drill bit house type places in your area.

They will know the process, and know who can do it for you.

Guest h8chains

I've had a broken stud EDM'd out (Roper talk for spark eroded I presume, $40 total) go for it

I have seen a lot of engines got saved and know a local shop that does EDM work to remove broken stud and even taps.

I have seen a lot of engines got saved and know a local shop that does EDM work to remove broken stud and even taps.

Yep, you guys really saved me. I stopped the mech shop from milling my head to debris and found me an EDM capable shop. He appologized for not being able to fix it the same day I brought it, I'll get it next week. :) Then he said "you know this is pricey... let's say 200 SEK". That is like USD 25 :grin:

Strange my friend at the car shop hadn't even heard of EDM. He's enlightened now.

BTW, noone had broken any extractor or such. It's just the bolt. I'm still puzzled they couldn't drill it.

here, lemme just give you someything...

but I wonder if I'me due for another after my M6 valve bolt fiasco.

:lol:

Thanks :P I've tried getting a quiz point but I don't have a chance. Too young maybe (usually I'm too old :oldgit: so that's a good thing) What are your yellow ones?