V1100 instruments

rossoandy

Help! Anyone know how to strip down the tach/speedo pod?

I have traced an electrical fault to being the connector shown on the wiring diagram as inside the pod. I have no dip beam and the fault appears to be located there.

However having removed the speedo cable and the four 8mm nuts on the base the thing would not come apart so I removed the three allen screws on the top...still no go!

How does the trip reset come out? How does the speedo come out ( the tacho has lifted clear now).

Anyone help?

It looked like there was a panel to come out of the base but it doesnt move so guess not a way in...

Help! Anyone know how to strip down the tach/speedo pod?

I have traced an electrical fault to being the connector shown on the wiring diagram as inside the pod. I have no dip beam and the fault appears to be located there.

However having removed the speedo cable and the four 8mm nuts on the base the thing would not come apart so I removed the three allen screws on the top...still no go!

How does the trip reset come out? How does the speedo come out ( the tacho has lifted clear now).

Anyone help?

It looked like there was a panel to come out of the base but it doesnt move so guess not a way in...

The 4 8mm nuts and reset knob are all that is needed to remove the black back cover. The reset knob is reverse threaded. Turn right to loosen. I put some soft locktite on the threads because this little knob is hard to find and can vibrate out easily. The speedo cable can stay and the cover rotated down and away.

The cover is hard coming off cause it sticks to the rubber gaskets. you just have to work it free carefully.

There are some washers under those nuts that also stick to the plastic cover and will go flying when it finally breaks free. The 3 allen screws on the front are for removing the indicator lights cover.

I think that covers it.

Good luck

This sounds obvious but you are sure it is not just the bulb low filiment.

The 4 8mm nuts and reset knob are all that is needed to remove the black back cover. The reset knob is reverse threaded. Turn right to loosen. I put some soft locktite on the threads because this little knob is hard to find and can vibrate out easily. The speedo cable can stay and the cover rotated down and away.

The cover is hard coming off cause it sticks to the rubber gaskets. you just have to work it free carefully.

There are some washers under those nuts that also stick to the plastic cover and will go flying when it finally breaks free. The 3 allen screws on the front are for removing the indicator lights cover.

I think that covers it.

Good luck

This sounds obvious but you are sure it is not just the bulb low filiment.

Hi , thanks for info.

Got it all apart ok but the wiring did not have the connectors I was expecting to find there. The fault was later found inside the loom itself just forward of where it is cable tied to the coil pack. I had to strip away the covering to find a soldered joint on the brown high beam wire had broken! I resoldered using a heat shrink soldered connection and all is now good on the lighting front.

I found upon reassembling the instruments that the holes in the black pod are barely big enough for the studs to pas through for the retaining nuts so I ran the 6mm drill through them to make assembly so much easier.

It was so good to finally wheel the bike off the bench out into the sunlight once again. First time in about 6 months!