Booked a track day

Guest Nogbad

Mallory track day: V11 or Buell  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should Nog risk trashing his new Buell, or use the V11

• Buell - You bought it to play with
    • V11 - It's older and worth less

Thats hilarious ! Did the bike pass tech and then blow a seal or something ?

I'd rather drag the sidestand than something with no give in it. Incidentally I switched to Dunlop D209 SPORTMAX GP-A tires for track days and they're so confidence inspiring you can use all of the tire without ever feeling like the tires going to slide. Just feels like theyre going to grip forever!

No it was something with the carter vent/oil return system went wrong. On a track the bike is reved much higher a long time, and then carter vent becomes critical.

And with the sidestand, a bit drag no problem, but what if it drags and there a a bump in the road, that might lift the rearwheel a moment, and there your first highsider is born. Same with a silencer with to little clearance.

On most trackdays there is not much technical check, the idea is, you and only you, are responsible for your bike, if they check it, and it ends wrong, the tech check guy might be part responsible.

well we'll just have to agree to differ on the sidestand issue..

our tracks out here in California are plenty bumpy, Laguna was exceptionally so and it's never posed an issue, perhaps because i use it as a feeler gauge like i said, the hero blobs would never ever touch first on my bike so with the sidestand removed, the first thing to touch is a hard and unrelenting bodypart. I don't know about you but my exhaust was expensive and i kinda like it unscratched :)

yeah you could but it would look darned funny on my bike at least. Maybe once I've changed out the fork springs and rear shock because i'll increase the ride height then. Until that happens, my hero blobs just get rusty :)

I always do Paul , always do :)

when i finally pick up the track bike from Todd, it'll have all of its street stuff taken off but for right now its not worth it for 6/10's track riding

• 3 weeks later...

Heh Paul as an addendum to his long drawn out topic, and obviously completely off the original subject, I did finally run out of ground clearance on the right side of the bike. I'm going to fix it with a new rear shock that Todd Eagan is sourcing for me. The left side is still not really a problem because I can drop the bike onto the sidestand which has some give in it until the left peg feeler starts pushing up and then you knwo youre out of room. On the right, the titanium pipe touches down before the hero blob, even with the exhaust himounts. The hairy part with that is that it "high-centers" the bike, unloading the rear tire.

So to get back to the original thread, take the Buell !

hahahahaha

seriously ride whatever you like :)

Guest Nogbad

I took the Buell. The day was a great success, even dry for the afternoon. The journey home was another matter, 100 miles in a monsoon.

I can recommend Gericke Tuareg boots and Racer Pluvio gloves. Neither let in any significant water even at 70 mph in heavy heavy rain. My Spada £30 oversuit also stayed dry apart from a leak in the private area, and without the excellent Shoei "pinlock" anti fog visor I doubt I could have made it home as I wear glasses so can't open the helmet in the wet.

bet the Buell was tons of fun, rain on the way home sucks but at least it was dry for you

i'm waiting for the pictures to get uploaded still from the trackside photographer but I'm finding it pretty rewarding to ride an unusual bike on the shorter tracks. There's nothing quite like it for the ego than to outbrake a Fireblade on the brakes, then overtake a GSXR 750 on the way out of the turn and finally to go round the outside of a Daytona 675 in a long sweeper all on the same lap :)

Of course thats just group B where most of the riders are mere mortals like the rest of us struggling to find a way to feed all of that massive power to their back tires. Meanwhile all of us torquey Vtwin folks ride rings round em all day with massive cheesy grins on how much fun we're having :)

Which track were you at ?

I heard that Rockingham is nice and tight and technical , a bit similar to ButtonWillow where i do most of my track days. The Buell probbaly rules there !