rosso mandello finally sweet

nigev11

hey all

just finished 5000kms since getting a tune up on my 01 RM. What a difference! I had given up hope that i could eliminate the stuttering, pinging, poor just off idle performance but credit where credit is due; that mad bastard roper (aka motomoda) had it running sweet as a pin in a couple of hours flat. Still suffers a slight case of pinging but that seems par for the course and he reckons he has some ideas on that too.

the majority of my riding is a heavy duty 40km each way commute through sydney traffic everday so im hardly doing what she was intended for !

this site is a constant source of mind numbing, wife angering reasons to get out in the shed and tinker, eh?

nigev11

Yeah, once you get someone to fine tune all the adjustments, it's a sweet running machine! I am still at the minor tinkering stage, but sure am enjoying the riding, turned over 1000 miles the other day. I have a 5-day 1000 mile trip planned for early June, can't wait! Enjoy yours, and sorry winter is coming for you. I got mine last September and the weather just got colder every day after that. Riding season is here now! :bier: And yes, this site does give me more ideas than are good for me. LOL Joe

Yeah, once you get someone to fine tune all the adjustments, it's a sweet running machine! I am still at the minor tinkering stage, but sure am enjoying the riding, turned over 1000 miles the other day. I have a 5-day 1000 mile trip planned for early June, can't wait! Enjoy yours, and sorry winter is coming for you. I got mine last September and the weather just got colder every day after that. Riding season is here now! :bier: And yes, this site does give me more ideas than are good for me. LOL Joe

Winter does'nt bother us to much down under. :bier:

hey; winter in Sydney aint so bad! Im at 27000kms now and coudnt be happier.

Pete's as good a mechanic as I've run into. A few years back at Moto Guzzi Classics, Mark E had a customers old V700 that would not run right, Mark had done all the right stuff, Pete listens to it, feels the exhausts output, makes a weird face and insists on a particular jetting change. Mark had already tried a different set of carbs with the same problem. At Pete's insistence, Mark changed the jetting to Pete's suggestion, instantly, the sucker ran great... Pete is a gem with these things. I will tell you though, to make any V11 FI bike run perfect, a PCIII dynolinked by a pro is unbeatable..... When Pete rides my Lemans this summer, he will agree too.....

Actually I remember that case particularly well. It was one of those *very* rare moments where you make the correct diagnosis just like that. It wasn't jetting, it was slides. the slides in both sets of carbs Mark had tried were just far too lean for that bike. Richer slides and it couldn't bog just of idle, the rest of it was fine. The scariest part was I took it for a ride in LA, (Albeit a very short one!) wearing one of those ridiculous beanie helmets that was about 20 sizes too small! I have a vast head, (In no way connected to what's inside it! It's all bone!) and this f*cking thing sat there like a thimble on an elephant's trunk. Add in a single leading shoe front brake and no other knowledge of the bike and it was a recipe for disaster! :grin:

And despite Jon's flattering description I'm actually a very ordinary mechanic. But I consider myself a 'Mechanic', not a 'Technician' or an 'Oil and chain changer'. That's good enough for me :bbblll:

Pete