New Tacho Continued (The old topic got blocked!)

RichMaund

Folks

Had a great time at the Ural Rally in LaPorte Indiana over the 4th of July weekend. Despite losing the AC compressor in the RV only 1/3 of the way into the 1800 mile trip, it was still a good trip! Hell, I even sold enough stuff to pay to get the AC fixed today. ($600!!!!!) The week off eliminated the pain in my hip that was nagging me. That tells me I need to stop working 15 hour days on my feet in the shop for months on end. I'm too beat up now to work that way anymore.

'Been busy in the shop since we got back. I played hooky today after taking some customer packages to the Post Office on the V11S. I just said screw it and took off riding. Beautiful day for it too! I guess I just needed time alone with the bike to remind me how good it is. Riding two-up just isn't the same. With precious cargo aboard the ride just isn't the same. I took some of my favorite freeway ramps (The only real curves around here.) and had a ball. This really IS a light handling bike and a joy to ride. I stopped by the local Beemer shop to kick tires. The owner there finally took me up on my offer to try the Goose. I told him to use yellow line as a shift point and don't cruise below 5k rpm. We all watched as he took off on it. Every employee there commented in unison on how good it sounded. Rich came back and said "It feels like a heavier Monster with more power. Fun engine! Quick handling too. I'm used to bikes with longer wheel bases and this bike really flicks well!" They used to sell Ducati's there, but gave them up since the Beemers were better business for them. So they are familiar with Italian bikes. I got to try a K1200 GT. Finally! A full sized "K" bike for short people! I loved the style and handling, but it did lack soul. Damned good appliance though. ^_^

I rode back taking a few more of my favorite ramps along the way. This V11S really is the most competent Guzzi I have ever owned out of twelve. I can't sell it. It still pulls too many heart strings in me. The passion is still there. She runs better than ever now and I may as well enjoy the honeymoon now that my "divorce" from MGNA is final. (The warranty expired in May. :lol: )

I won't miss MGNA's dealings, but I would miss this bike very much.

Something similar went on when my 1997 Cali 1100 finally lost it's warranty. It just didn't need one anymore. I had de-bugged the bike by then and was sick of MGNA jerking me around. Once I didn't have to deal with MGNA the headaches subsided and joy in ownership took over. At least until the 2000 National where I test rode the then new V11S. :thumbsup:

I, as an owner, seem to function better on my own and away from Dealerships. Once I totally take over the maintenance of my bike, the bike seems to settle down and enjoy the attention and reward me with good service. I hope I am in that stage again now.

That was a fun ride this morning. I hope to have alot more just like it. I wish you all the same too! :mg:

:stupid:

(Rich, dunno why the topic was blocked. I think an upgrade bug or something... I "unblocked" it a minute ago.)

I, as an owner, seem to function better on my own and away from Dealerships. Once I totally take over the maintenance of my bike, the bike seems to settle down and enjoy the attention and reward me with good service. I hope I am in that stage again now.

Rich, I formed exactly the same opinion years ago; applies to all my bikes and cars as well.

I took it one more step ahead to the only logical conclusion - I always buy my vehicles new (just like it that way) and take care of all the maintenance and service SINCE DAY ONE. I treat the warranty only as the replacement parts generator when needed. Even on my new VW diesel where the service during warranty period was free I would not let the mechanics touch my vehicle. The service manager would hand me an oil, filters etc., stamp the warranty book and happily send me on my way.

In my opinion dealers generate more problems then solutions with their generally sloppy and careless attitude. Just reading some other people's horror stories makes me sick.

I was always very satisfied with that decision and I am sure you would be too.

Rich,

Glad to hear that your Italian hussy played your heartstrings & rendered you a helpless puddle of lovestruck goo :D

You're a valuable member of the forum & your loss would have been keenly felt. Welcome back to the fold :mg:

Heck Folks!

I couldn't leave even if I sold the bike. This is the only Guzzi forum I participate in anymore. Ever since the MGCL turned too nasty for my taste, this has been my "connection" to my fellow Guzzisti.

I am a life member of the MGNOC. I wouldn't disappear that easily.

I must say that this is the best group of Guzzi folks I have ever dealt with in a forum or discussion list. The fine attitude, sense of humor and shear high level of technical expertise and innovative ideas I see here will keep me coming back for more. I'm not bullshitting or sugar coating that either. I mean it. Jaap is to be thanked heartily for building up this forum as he has!

This one reason I stick with Guzzi's ... and Urals for that matter. It's the people that keep the machines interesting and fun for me. Great bikes with character and fellow riders to match. A fine combination!

Now if I could just get you all to ride here some Saturday afternoon for a bar-b-que THAT would really make my weekend!

Jaap is to be thanked heartily for building up this forum as he has!

All I did was provide a space, some free software and a few hours of my free time. The forum idea originated in the office of TLM. Their Sales Manager in 2002, Lex Jansen, said to me that a forum would be a great extension of my website. And it is!

Remember: you guys make the forum what it is, not me.