steering geometry???

wheelsucker

Just got a pair of convertibar mounts and wondering whether to mount them above or below the clamp. So my question is how is handling affected if I lower the top clamp(and everything else involved) about 3/4 of an inch. How is handling affected if I raise the top clamp so that its almost even with the top of the tubes?

Guest ratchethack

WS, if you drop the triples 1 inch, it will make about a 1 degree change in rake. This is significant enough to make quite a difference, depending on tires, suspension set-up, etc.

It would effectively make a 26 degree rake LM into a 25 degree rake bike like the "short frame" Sports. This is not at all quick steering by modern hyperbike standards, but may be expected to provide the characteristic V11 handling preference of many, including Yours Truly. :mg:

Keep in mind that dropping the triples decreases ground clearance accordingly, so wot once didn't touch down may now start. :race:

I just put a set of these on my '02 lemans. I just mounted them under clamp I figured that since your ajustment is limited by the hydrolice lines I didn't really see any reasone.

Just my :2c: . Other then that LOVE EM!

Z

Just got a pair of convertibar mounts and wondering whether to mount them above or below the clamp. So my question is how is handling affected if I lower the top clamp(and everything else involved) about 3/4 of an inch. How is handling affected if I raise the top clamp so that its almost even with the top of the tubes?

Loosing the appropriate pinch bolts allows the *fork tubes* to be repositioned. The top clamp stays put. :oldgit:

Raising the forks effectively shortens them, quickens the steering and reduces straight-line stability. Lowering the forks does the opposite. As RH describes, the particulars will depend on things like yer weight, tires, current suspension setup, and riding style.

I've got an 02 Naked and raised the forks ~ 1.2 cm to load the front tire and quicken the steering. My convertibar clamps are mounted underneath the top triple tree and still give plenty of height to the bars when that's what I want. I really like these things; I can switch from way higher to way lower than stock in ~5 minutes. My only complaint is the odd bar ID - most expanders don't fit well.

I have had my Convertibars both above and below the triples.

The bike seems to handle better with the ConvertiBars mounted above and the front end dropped a bit. (Note, I have Ohlins which are longer than the Marzocchi used on the 2000 Sport.)

But my Corbin lets me slide forward too easily, so I raised the front and put the Convertibars below the triples. Comfort increased, but handling suffered, until I got a longer shock, now it is much closer to perfection in the handling department, so much so that if a little up in the back does it good, maybe a little down in the front will help. So, I am thinking about lowering the front more, again. But now I am sliding forward like never before, so if I lower the front, I will look into modifying the Corbin with an overlay of supportive foam holding me in position, or maybe building a subframe under the seat to hold the front end of the seat higher. Don't need no stinking aesthetics. Ergonomics is more important. :grin: But economics is most important :(

Flat for me. Didn't think dropped would be comfortable on the street, and we hit the track only rarely.

DL - I've got a similar issue to yours - the sloped seat had me mashing my genitalia into the tank at every slowdown or stop :wacko: . A cheap fix is to slap on some tank pads from Tech-Spec or Stompgrip; not pretty, but your testicles will no longer need to live in fear.