California Redwoods to Baja Desert on a Le Mans

Dr Gil

I have just returned from a trip on my '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans from my home here on the northern most coast of California (Eureka) down the coast and into Mexico. I crossed at Tijuana and continued down to Ensenada and then traveled across Baja to San Felipe before heading back north through California gold country and then back home.

It was an epic ride and the Guzzi did wonderfully. We covered almost 2,500 miles.

To do a trip report here would be prohibitive (the final report has over 120 pictures and a couple of small videos clips and is 5 pages long) so I've opted to make a "generic" version (to share with the Guzzista, motorcyclists in general and my non-riding family and friends) on my website.

You can view the entire adventure by clicking HERE.

mexico107.jpg

Nice trip report.

Innervation not bodge with the reservoir lid - still had the rubber diaphragm under it anyway :thumbsup:

a :homer: for the glove - I do that sort of thing all the time

How are the fork seals - obviously held up enough. Will the need a change?

Slightly perplexed that you didn't add the Mexico map to your GPS.

Lovely picture with all the roses

Nice trip report.

Innervation not bodge with the reservoir lid - still had the rubber diaphragm under it anyway :thumbsup:

a :homer: for the glove - I do that sort of thing all the time

How are the fork seals - obviously held up enough. Will the need a change?

Slightly perplexed that you didn't add the Mexico map to your GPS.

Lovely picture with all the roses

I'm still not sure what the seepage is in the front end. Seems too high up to be fork seals (although that is still my concern). I suspect that big oil bolt that fits into the top of the frame...I would prefer that.

I'm still in "post ride denial" and am not really dealing with anything yet.

Fortunately I replaced my clutch and front reservoir caps with those lovely Ducati red anadized ones and still had my originals. I have replaced my "not a bodge" temporary rear brake cap with the original...ugly but functional.

And actually I had the Mexico maps offered me but declined (foolish in hindsight). I figured with only 3 paved roads in northern Baja why would I need GPS. Foolish me.

• 2 months later...
Guest h8chains

Thanks for sharing. Excellent write-ups and pics. Something to look forward in doing.

Good job.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Roadslayer

Excellent report,Doc. I've done a lot of those places. Brings back memories. And your posting skills are to be admired. My ride reports are always a mess. We have clone bikes. Almost.

'Cheers' Roadslayer