Gas tank seal not sealing?

VA Sean

Sorry for the cross-post.

When I filled my tank this morning, I noticed a bit of dirt and debris (read mostly pollen and a couple dry pieces of grass) around the rim of inside portion of my tank under the gas cap.

I used some papers towels to dab up the dirt and gunk being careful to not let anything drop into the tank itself.

I was wondering, first, how all that stuff got in there, given the fact that I don't ever leave my gas cap open except for the few minutes it takes to fill the tank -- and I am usually sitting on my bike during that time and would be able to see anything dropping into it. Additionally, I park the bike under a pretty tightly fitting cover every night.

The more I thought about, the more I began to wonder if all that stuff was around the rim, is it possible that quite a bit more has actually already dropped into the tank - and if so, what will be my sign, and what I should do.

:huh2:

Have any of you experienced this - or am I the oddball?

:grin:

Sorry for the cross-post.

When I filled my tank this morning, I noticed a bit of dirt and debris (read mostly pollen and a couple dry pieces of grass) around the rim of inside portion of my tank under the gas cap.

I used some papers towels to dab up the dirt and gunk being careful to not let anything drop into the tank itself.

I was wondering, first, how all that stuff got in there, given the fact that I don't ever leave my gas cap open except for the few minutes it takes to fill the tank -- and I am usually sitting on my bike during that time and would be able to see anything dropping into it. Additionally, I park the bike under a pretty tightly fitting cover every night.

The more I thought about, the more I began to wonder if all that stuff was around the rim, is it possible that quite a bit more has actually already dropped into the tank - and if so, what will be my sign, and what I should do.

Have any of you experienced this - or am I the oddball?

:grin:

That's an odd one Sean. Who knows how the stuff got in there. Unless your cap was open for awhile it is unlikely very much got inside. I wouldn't worry too much about it. There is a strainer screen inside the tank at the valve and it would take quite a bit to clog it. If you are worried or if your bike runs like it is starving for fuel then pull the tank and drain it. Remove the valve/strainer (two bolts) and clean it. No big deal. Be sure to clean the O-ring when you reinstall to prevent leaks.

That's an odd one Sean. Who knows how the stuff got in there. Unless your cap was open for awhile it is unlikely very much got inside. I wouldn't worry too much about it. There is a strainer screen inside the tank at the valve and it would take quite a bit to clog it. If you are worried or if your bike runs like it is starving for fuel then pull the tank and drain it. Remove the valve/strainer (two bolts) and clean it. No big deal. Be sure to clean the O-ring when you reinstall to prevent leaks.

That's too weird. Is it possible that tank suck could get stuff sucked up through the vent tube from under the bike?

I'm glad you said that Carl, because it might be the only logical explanation (not saying that IS what it is, but it at least is plausible).

I NEVER have the gas cap open except when filling the tank - and I literally sit on the bike during that process in order to make the bike level (off the side stand), and since I have the MG tank bag the gas cap does not stay open unless you hold it open.

There is no seal around the outter rim of the gas cap. Only around the inner part that actually seals the fuel filler.

I get dust and crap in mine, too.

All of my Guzzis have collected stuff in the area around the actual filler hole under the gas cap...

The fact that you park your bike outside exacerbates your problem.