Cleaning the exhaust header pipes

I was noticing today that the Ballabio's pipes are a bit dingy looking. Does anyone have any experience with a particular cleaner or polishing compound for restoring the pipes back to that nice goldish color? I don't necessarily care about getting the blue out closest to the heads, but below that could definitely use something.

Thanks,

Doug

Go to a Harley shop; they'll have all manner of chrome polishes there, including some specifically for removing the blue oxide [CrO5?] from exhaust pipes.

Ask'em for a discount: now that Harley has gone to double-wall pipes on all their bikes, the shops should be having a hard time moving that stuff...

:thumbsup:

:mg:

I bought my '02 Le Mans when my car became too complex to wrench upon. While polishing isn't wrenching, these are beautiful things, and I'll admit to an element of satisfaction from the making shiny. It can't all be as glamorous as fitting up a Roper plate.

For pipes and my now shiny alternator cover, I use Micro Mesh (regular) and elbow grease. This product can used wet or dry, is made with a flexible cotton backing with polymer emulsion cushioning layer and large "micron graded aluminum oxide crystals suspended in an ultra flexible resin bond." Weights are different than standard sandpaper and get to extrememly fine. 8000 is fine for pipes, but scale goes much finer. Have also been known to use brass wool when I'm comfortable I can keep the broken off bits from ending up in my sticky tires and other nooks and crannys where they would add no value. I always adjust the valves or bleed the brakes when I'm done so I can hold my head up in this group.....

SemiChrome metal polish used with 0000 steel wool makes the pipes look as new...in fact better. Do the rubbing/scrubbing around the circumference of the pipes for best results.

I was noticing today that the Ballabio's pipes are a bit dingy looking. Does anyone have any experience with a particular cleaner or polishing compound for restoring the pipes back to that nice goldish color? I don't necessarily care about getting the blue out closest to the heads, but below that could definitely use something.

Thanks,

Doug

I may be misunderstanding your question... but once the gold finish starts changing/tarnishing ain't much you can do but get them Jet-Hot coated. You can try rubbing them with scotchbright as that may help the finish to be uniform.... alll it does is removed the surface of the more damaged areas.

I have heard that steel wool can "seed" rust.

If in doubt, that micromesh sounds like a good thing.

FWIW I think the patina on the pipes is beautiful, at least where it is not all splotchy :unsure:

I may be misunderstanding your question... but once the gold finish starts changing/tarnishing ain't much you can do but get them Jet-Hot coated. You can try rubbing them with scotchbright as that may help the finish to be uniform.... alll it does is removed the surface of the more damaged areas.

NOT TRUE!

I took mine to the chrome shop and asked if they would just polish them as they would in preparation for chroming. The fellow said he'd get that stainless looking as if it had been chromed. They started off flat-dull and goldish-browm with a couple of really ratty looking spots that look like something had baked on. Now, you would not believe that they are the same 25,000 mile pipes I took in. They are bright and as shiny as chrome, but with a slight gold glint.

No, he didn't actually plate them.

Only had the head pipes done. Will definitely have the Feracchi X-pipe done when it comes.

Cost was $60.00

I have heard that steel wool can "seed" rust.

If in doubt, that micromesh sounds like a good thing.

FWIW I think the patina on the pipes is beautiful, at least where it is not all splotchy :unsure:

And "sprout " rust spots? I used this process to brighten the exhaust sytem, remove light oxidation and some deeper reddish brown corrosion near the head and to date, 15 months later it looks pretty good with the gold hue having returned but no rust. Of course my bike hasn't been ridden but a couple of thousand miles since the work was done.

It's easier than you think Doug. Just use a medium scotch-brite pad. As txrider said, polish around the circumference, not along the length. You will easily get through the brown / blue to a nice silver finish that will gradually golden. About a year ago I did this then polished them to a near chrome finish. The polishing is kind of a waste of time though, just the scotch-brite finish looks great. This past winter I freshened them up with a scotch brite pad and that's all they need. This pic is after about 250 miles since the scotch-brite job.

Like weej said, get a couple of beers ready.

IMG_2354.JPG

Thanks to all. I'll try the scotchbrite route first as DanM,s results look great. Did you use a fine scotchbrite or a course one?

Thanks again.

Doug

3M #07447 Scotchbrite Type A very fine. To be honest, I used this because that is what we keep on the shelf. Stainless steel is hard enough that fine or medium would probably work just as well.

Good article on cleaning stainless steel

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB-1.html

Thanks for the link, dailing, I read the bit about passivation and realize this could be a source of further problems. So, no more steel wool on stainless pipes for me. And I regret if I mislead anyone with the info I posted. Now where can I find that finest grade Scotchbrite? Is it white?