Little run out -

Martin Barrett

I have been looking at Geocaching (GPS based treasure hunt) over the last few months and this weekend took the plunge and went and visited my first cache. Chose a nice easy one to find as I don't have a GPS receiver, just doing it the old fashioned way.

I took a travel bug from the cache, the idea is to move it on to another cache and log its progress. This one was a toy aeroplane (Highway To The Danger Zone)and it's owner had set the task of taking photos of it with real fighter planes .

So today I set off on the Guzzi and my first stop was RAF Henlow [2] where they have a Hawker Siddeley Hunter as Gate Guard.

IMG_0477.jpg

I then went to RAF Barkway[3], which is just a radio mast, but there wasn't any good photo opportunities to have an " RAF station but no aeroplanes picture"

So continued on towards Duxford, but shortly after leaving Barkway on entering Great Chishall [4] there was this nice post windmill, can no longer turn in to the wind though.

IMG_0480.jpg

Next point of call was a Geocache [6] that overlooks the airfield of the Imperial War Museum Duxford so we had to have a flypast.

IMG_0481.jpg

This was a micro cache - a 35mm film case - I found it and signed the log within but obviously far too small to leave HTTDZ there, so went to a normal sized cache off a bridle way to the north of the airfield Left the bike in the village[8] and walked the kilometer to where the cache was hidden.

I left him there hopefully someone will pick him up and either catch the next flying day (Sun 20th) or move him on eastwards lots of USAF bases or northwards RAF. I came away with another type of trackable items this one a "coin" with an evolution theme.

I then headed home.

gc1.jpg

Only 80 miles and out for 3 hours.