elctric failure

gallo_se

Guest ratchethack

I went through the relays, the sidestand switch, the starter button, the starter button wire, a new battery, after I discovered that I could hold down the start button and shake the damn thing back and forth and it would start every time!

NR, these are classic symptoms of intermittent connections in the cheesy bullet connectors under the left-front of the tank that feed to the clutch switch. Many on this Forum (myself and my Pal with '04 LM included) have experienced this exact thing. My permanent solution was to cycle the connectors, fill with dielectric grease, and LIGHTLY re-crimp them. Haven't had a trace of the problem since, ditto my Pal with '04 LM. :helmet:

• 3 weeks later...

Or just take the stupid sidestand switch and pitch it. My salvage 2000 came with the sidestand switch crashed off. Connecting the two leads under that tank eliminated the need for it. I think I've been riding long enough to remember to raise the stand. I might do the same with the neutral "safety switch" too some day.

Moto Pierre (alias Crusty)

Or just take the stupid sidestand switch and pitch it. My salvage 2000 came with the sidestand switch crashed off. Connecting the two leads under that tank eliminated the need for it. I think I've been riding long enough to remember to raise the stand. I might do the same with the neutral "safety switch" too some day.

Moto Pierre (alias Crusty)

thats a really bad idea, I think someone on here can attest to that, who was it again that had a hard wired side stand and went down on a left sweeper? Its on the tip of my tounge, totaled his bike, wasn't docc, was it? hmm bad idea tho.

I was thinking a good alternative idea would be to have the horn blare if the engine was running, in gear, and the sidestand was down.

Now to figure out how to do that before I kill myself :o

thats a really bad idea, I think someone on here can attest to that, who was it again that had a hard wired side stand and went down on a left sweeper? Its on the tip of my tounge, totaled his bike, wasn't docc, was it? hmm bad idea tho.

Naw, I went down in a tight uphill right hander from a combination of road conditions, hard tires and over reaction.

I've had too many side stands on older bikes try to kill me, so I'm a believer in the idiot switch. I've also seen two Ducatis go down from side stand related tinkering ( defeating the sui-side stand).

Nose2wind noticed my Sport only has one of the two springs on the stand. I've ordered the secondary from MI as I don't want to take any chances on an unwanted deployment. :o

Naw, I went down in a tight uphill right hander from a combination of road conditions, hard tires and over reaction.

I've had too many side stands on older bikes try to kill me, so I'm a believer in the idiot switch. I've also seen two Ducatis go down from side stand related tinkering ( defeating the sui-side stand).

Nose2wind noticed my Sport only has one of the two springs on the stand. I've ordered the secondary from MI as I don't want to take any chances on an unwanted deployment. :o

Hey maybe the old "self retracting" sidestands on the tonti frame Guzzis wern't all bad! Just be careful when parking and hold it down with your foot. :luigi:

• 3 months later...

The neural light on my newly acquired Lemans isn't working so I will be investigating the areas outlined in this thread...but I have a newbie question ; how do I open the cover to check the bulbs? The three screws that look like they attach the cover turn freely...does it snap together?

Another area of concern, and the reason I would like to have a neutral light, it that my bike seems to have a neutral in between every gear :bbblll: is this normal, common or a problem?

The neural light on my newly acquired Lemans isn't working so I will be investigating the areas outlined in this thread...but I have a newbie question ; how do I open the cover to check the bulbs? The three screws that look like they attach the cover turn freely...does it snap together?

Another area of concern, and the reason I would like to have a neutral light, it that my bike seems to have a neutral in between every gear :bbblll: is this normal, common or a problem?

You access the bulbs from the rear by removing 4 acorn nuts and pulling off the large cover behind the clocks, the bulbs are in rubber holders :bbblll: that pull out of the display panel (it may be easier to find the neutral switch wiring and bridge it to test the bulb :) ).

The gearchange should be better than that so its probably worth checking the linkage for free movement and loose fittings, if that checks out then there is an adjuster located on the side of the case(I've never touched it but understand that very small adjustments are required to find the right spot) a search on here should find the thread but most likely someone else will advice you. :bier: