wheel bearing info

Tim

I searched the site but couldn't find the spec for the fron wheel bearings (lunched after 3000 miles). Also has anyone got the correct length for the spacer that leves inbetween the bearings as I think I might have one of the problem ones - although I thought it wasn't a probelm on the 2000 models!

Indicators all stopped working at the same time - is that the relay or a fuse?

grateful for all assisatance

Tim

thanks Raz - obviously I didn't look hard enough

is the spacer length there as well?

There are discussions in various threads. Even if your spacer is correct, some say the wheel could possibly be machined too wide. If that is correct, the only safe way if you're really worried is to measure your own wheel. It's not that hard when you've pulled the bearings. The spacer should be a little longer than the width between the edges in the wheel for the outer races, like one or two tenths of millimeters. I'm not at my best writing in english here but I guess you understand the reasoning: the outer races must not be at tension, just the inner races.

This bloody great post by Pete explains it in better english, in rear wheel context. The whole thread is hilarious.

Stripped the front wheel and found the inner spacer 10 thou too short. I hadn't time to get a new spacer or get one machined up so I found a 20 thou shim which gave me the slight over size as recommended by Roperman. Hopefully this should extend the pathetically short wheel bearing life I've experienced so far.

Now to sort out the indicator failure....

Tim

Mostl likely a fuse, I would guess. To check the relay, just swap it out with any one of the other (four pole????) relays and see if your winkers start winking again.