pinion play

docc

Cleaning the Sport up to go chase down Bill Hagan I found one of the pinch bolts on the shaft loose where they attach to the input for the bevel drive. After tightening them some play remains in the input to the bevel drive. I assume this is the pinion and thought maybe the carrier bearing is done. No leaks, no vibration. 47,000 miles and you'd think I had wiggled this before. If so I never noticed the play.

How much play is normal? :huh2:

Guest ratchethack

Got the same thing, Docc. I questioned Pete about this a ways back on a related thread, 'cause I had the same concern. The amount of play in the pinion shaft itself is ideally imperceptible. The "play" I noticed is likely the same as wot you've got -- it's the play at the splines between pinion shaft and U-joint. Nothin' to worry about -- but IMHO, best keep the pinch bolts torqued-up, just as you've done. :luigi:

Hi Docc, I found the same thing at about 15,000. When I took the bolts out they both had wear from the pinion shaft, as they act as cotters to locate end location of the uj on the pinion shaft. I replaced all four bolts with high tensile ( 12.2 grade if memory serves me right) with loctite. They where fine this morning when I had the wheel out and greases the ujs at 26000. Cheers Gary.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Funny how something like this affects what you feel and hear while you ride. :o

Guest ratchethack

Amazing how that works, innit? :rolleyes:

On the other hand, after an engine oil change, the suspension seems to work better.

A spark plug clean & gap seems to have the same effect. . . :whistle: