Aprilla Falco vs LeMans

Lamedog

My '02 LeMans is well-sorted at this point. After Buell pegs and bar risers, the ergos are great (I'm 6'2", 190 lbs), and the bike is fine to ride and easy to wrench upon. Wilber's fork springs and tightened up the rear shock has left suspension improved over stock, but the bike remains more stable than quick in corners. So here comes up an '02 Aprilla Falco, 10K miles, bone stock and great shape. Another 1/2 faired two-cylinder Italian. This bike is derestricted so probably 30 hp more. Test ride tomorrow evening. Am concerned the two bikes are too similar to cohabit the garage, anyone familiar with this "non Mille"?

Before buying the V11, I have had a ride on this FALCO.

What a great machine was that!

I am talking about 2001. A week later I came back with the money and the Falco was gone…

After a couple of years, I can realize the bike was a good deal. (pity the Jappo look)

If the price is good, I will buy it.

That's the bike that I'd be on if I hadn't found a great deal on a LeMans first. I love the simplicity of the Guzzi air cooled twin but the extra power that the water cooled 'priller has would be fun.

I think the Tuono would be a great choice too if you can stand looking at it. IMO they are fugly but cool.

$%#@, of course I missed it. Bike's been on local Craiglist off and on for several months. Logic says to wait for winter anyway...

Too bad you missed it. I don't think you'd find them very similar once you rode it though. Falco: more powerfull - better handling; LeMans: more comfortable - better looks. Sometimes missed opportunities save us from ourselves. Maybe a better deal will come along

That's the bike that I'd be on if I hadn't found a great deal on a LeMans first. I love the simplicity of the Guzzi air cooled twin but the extra power that the water cooled 'priller has would be fun.

I think the Tuono would be a great choice too if you can stand looking at it. IMO they are fugly but cool.

Aprilia Tuono = worst seat ever. :P

. . . anyone familiar with this "non Mille"?

I would guess I'm probably the best qualified to comment on the Falco, since I owned one prior to buying my LeMans. I wrote a little review you may find helpful. One problem with the review is the fact that the majority of my photos disappeared when my hosting service went tits up.

Just a little correction, though . . . the Falco is every bit as much a "mille" . . . (an SL mille to be exact), as an RSV mille. :bier:

I had both, the Falco and the Rosso Corsa at the same time.... The Falco was an excellent bike, did just about everything perfect (well, except for the battery being too small for the bike and having to reset the gauges after the bike failed to crank over), Anyway long story short, I was faster on the Falco, it was lighter, perhaps more nimble but it was always the one left in the garage. There is just something about the Guzzi PERIOD Ahh, the 90 degree V Twin, the way the V was suppost to be!

Mike

• 10 months later...
I would guess I'm probably the best qualified to comment on the Falco, since I owned one prior to buying my LeMans. I wrote a little review you may find helpful. One problem with the review is the fact that the majority of my photos disappeared when my hosting service went tits up.

Just a little correction, though . . . the Falco is every bit as much a "mille" . . . (an SL mille to be exact), as an RSV mille. :bier:

FWIW . . . I was able to recover most of the photos in my aprilia SL mille review.

Interesting to see this thread pop up again. Thanks for the photos, I am reminded what a beautiful bike is the Falco. As often happens I started chasing after what I though was the superior performance bargain (a specialty Mille R like a Haga, etc.). Ended up chasing my tail for a bike that really doesn't suit. Your Falco, when t was red and with that beautiful belly-pan, fits the bill.

Perhaps I'll go chasing Falco's again once I get this painfully long winter maintenance completed. My replacement driveshaft and power commander come this wee k. With the new MG Ti pipes, I'm ready to live large.... :sun:

I currently have both in my garage. I bought the Falco in 2001 and my Coppa Italia in 2005. In my opinion, these are very different bikes. The Falco is very much a beast compared to the V11. Performance wise, no comparison. The Falco is quicker, handles better, and stops faster.

That being said I ride the V11 far more often. It's not that I don't like the Falco, I love it and it's a really great bike. It's just that you have to be way more committed to ride it. Too much throttle in first or second and the front wheel is in the air (quickly in first). It just demands to be ridden hard and the riding position, although comfortable by sport bike standards, is again more committed than on the relaxed V11.

I am pushing 50 years old now and I like the fact that the V11 is perfectly happy to be ridden in any manner that fits my mood. It's hard to explain but some bikes just insist that you ride them quickly and the Falco is one such bike in my opinion. If I am in the mood than nothing thrills like the Falco and I have no intention of parting with the bike. I have put about 20K on it with no problems at all. I had the valves checked at 17K and they needed no adjustment (they have never been adjusted). The Falco has power everywhere and, in my opinion, is a really great looking machine. If you ever get the chance to pick one up I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• 3 months later...
I currently have both in my garage. I bought the Falco in 2001 and my Coppa Italia in 2005. In my opinion, these are very different bikes. The Falco is very much a beast compared to the V11. Performance wise, no comparison. The Falco is quicker, handles better, and stops faster.

That being said I ride the V11 far more often. It's not that I don't like the Falco, I love it and it's a really great bike. It's just that you have to be way more committed to ride it. Too much throttle in first or second and the front wheel is in the air (quickly in first). It just demands to be ridden hard and the riding position, although comfortable by sport bike standards, is again more committed than on the relaxed V11.

I am pushing 50 years old now and I like the fact that the V11 is perfectly happy to be ridden in any manner that fits my mood. It's hard to explain but some bikes just insist that you ride them quickly and the Falco is one such bike in my opinion. If I am in the mood than nothing thrills like the Falco and I have no intention of parting with the bike. I have put about 20K on it with no problems at all. I had the valves checked at 17K and they needed no adjustment (they have never been adjusted). The Falco has power everywhere and, in my opinion, is a really great looking machine. If you ever get the chance to pick one up I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Well stated. I'm 55 and agree my LeMans is the perfect ride for me now.