Yesterday Two V11 Crashed in Los Angeles

Guest h8chains

One of the gents was riding my pristine, wonderful Lemans, bent it up pretty good, will not be putting it back together. If any of you see bits you might want, PM me. It has 10K miles on it and made 85 bhp at the rear wheel. Good bits are the engine, trans, bevel box, Rich Maund seat, PCIII, FBF x-over, brake calipers, tank, side panels, rear wheel, also have a new torque arm that I did not install and a pair of Jean Marc's custom bars that are fully adjustable and not installed.

Again, as Joel noted, you can replace motorcycles, not friends, this could have been very bad.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/oldguzzi/mylemans.jpg

Ouch-

That looks bad.

Sorry about that. You are right about the bikes and friends. I hope the friend heals up alright.

Total bummer.

PS: the bike looks so sad lying on her side with her plastic bits spread out around her like that.

:(

Everybody made it home under their own power,...eventually.That is the only thing that matters.I'm sure our loved ones love us more than we love our Guzzis.

I was on Piuma yesterday ,oblivious to this incident, would have driven with a different perspective if I had known.Also dont like riding in groups because of the possibility of this happening,or space out more to help prevent it.Not suggesting this was any of the riders fault,just looking for a way to give myself and everyone else that little extra edge to survive.Maybe good skills saved our brothers here. :thumbsup: Saw many cruiser riders side by side yesterday ,and always shrug when I see this.Obviously they're much :rolleyes: better riders than us!

:2c:

...or space out more ...

I am all in favor of spacing out :rasta:...but not when riding :lol:

But seriously, excellent points :bier:

I have never been comfortable riding side by side or even within a two second following distance, but sometimes I fall momentarilly within a two second following distance.

I think some get a false sense of security from being in staggered formation with a one second or less following distance, but if you have to dodge a bike that is tumbling down the road after bouncing off the rear of a truck that suddenly appeared in your path, you will want as much reaction time as possible.

Shoot happens and it is best to be prepared.

However we don't know the details here, and it very well could be that the truck driver tried to fit in between the two or three second following distance, and a tighter formation might have prevented the accident. :huh2:

I know one of the riders and he is an excellent rider with plenty of track and off-road experience, and he knows better than to push it on the street.

They were within the legal speed limit, but the accident still happened.

It is just very boring to always drive as if suspecting a herd of elephants is hiding behind every blind turn, and besides, you would probably get rear ended if you drove that slowly. Some things are simply un-avoidable.

Some are afraid to ride in groups, but if you crash, it is often a great blessing to have the group there for you....as long as they don't run you over. :bier: Pick your group wisely. :oldgit:

Very sad to see what was probably a pristine bike lying on it's side like that.

Great to hear nobody was badly hurt.

There but for the grace of God....

Just a comment on the crash, it was my v11 Lemans on its side, and my brother in law's v11 sport as well. Both riders were riding legal speed limits, and both were very experienced, one with 20+ years, one with 25+ years riding experience. The truck blew it and caused an unfortunate accident, thankfully, both riders knew what to do to minimize damage to themselves..... Both will be fine. bikes will be addressed by the truck drivers insurance company... Lesson learned, wear the best protective gear you can, all the time!

Cheers,

sorry to hear about this and glad you are all ok though hurt.

it is a shame when idiots cause accidents and then they get a fine , what ,$ 50. or so.

same thing happened to me 2 months ago when a woman shot out of a driveway and hit the car in front of me and i low sided and slid for 10 or 15 feet or so ,i did not end in the hospital because my undergarments are all armored so not even a scratch but lost jacket and pants,and one sidi boot.

i guess it comes with the territory ,and the reason i am talking about my situation is to encourage you guys to buy and wear protective clothing .it works and is better than not wearing it . i know ,it saved me from multiple skin grafts all over .

Guest Cantaloop

Puh, best wishes to you... hope you will ride your V11 again soon. The pics just remember me.. my accident on my trip to mandelllo del lario (GMG) last year, crashed into a bus. Thank god... protective clothes. No serious injuries.

thanks for the anonymity, guys. it was i who fell on jon's nice v11 lemans-- ugh. can't really discuss the case here, but fyi, i fractured my left wrist and pretty much snapped off the head of my right shoulder. that's about it, plus a few other nagging aches and pains. i go in for shoulder reconstruction (or replacement if necessary) thursday morning, so send healing vibes toward century city, LA, CA when you can.

thanks for all the concern/kindness expressed here. catch y'all later. cheers! :bier:

i fractured my left wrist and pretty much snapped off the head of my right shoulder.

Ouch!!!

I felt so sorry for myself when I broke my shoulder years ago, but yours is surely more major.

Good thing you are a fast healer.

All the best MoJo to you for the surgery and recovery :bier:

PS quit typing with your nose, we need to keep you looking good :P

Wsholar

Get well soon. It's two weeks now that I've left my bike over the bars and bumped onto the right shoulder. No fractures or ruptured ties, but it's been only three days now that I was able to leave the bed in the morning the first time again without help.

So believe your doctors, take your drugs.

Hubert