Sport 1100i Oil capacity.

John Neeson

I am changing the oil on my 1997 Sport Injection (not changing the filter). Does anyone know the approximate volume of oil required to refill the sump? So far I've put 2.5 litres in, and the dipstick reading indicates almost full. I'm not sure how accurate the dipstick is with the rear end of the bike raised (on an Abba stand).I don't know how much oil is inside the filter, but I'd be surprised if it amounted to 1 litre.

thanks

I would suggest that rather than screwing the dipstick in simply rest it on the threads and then keepadding oil until it reaches the 'Full' mark. While 1100 Sportis don't seem to be so prone to the problem it might be worth you doing a search on this site on the benefits or otherwise of slight over-filling of the sump and 'Sloppage Sheets'

Pete

I don't think overfilling the sump on the Sport 1100i accomplishes diddley squat, but that's my opinion. I have noticed that the Sporti starts getting better mpg when the oil level is at mid-dipstick which sort of tells me that a full sump is just adding drag to the engine.

I am changing the oil on my 1997 Sport Injection (not changing the filter). Does anyone know the approximate volume of oil required to refill the sump? So far I've put 2.5 litres in, and the dipstick reading indicates almost full.

And that's how it is without changing the oil filter and neither full draining the oil cooler from oil.

Don't add any more it will blow engine sump gaskets......Been there and done that , and I'm never going back... <_>

It will be almost full with 2.8-2.9 liters when changing the filter too. Measurments I mention are with dipstick screwed in.

I would say that with 2.4lt about half+ dipstick level , it is OK.

After 0ver 55000 km in my 1100i and over 14 oil changes I guarantee you that's how it is for the 1100i and I never had a problem with oil or engine for that matter as well.

And that's how it is without changing the oil filter and neither full draining the oil cooler from oil.

Don't add any more it will blow engine sump gaskets......Been there and done that , and I'm never going back... <_>

It will be almost full with 2.8-2.9 liters when changing the filter too. Measurments I mention are with dipstick screwed in.

I would say that with 2.4lt about half+ dipstick level , it is OK.

After 0ver 55000 km in my 1100i and over 14 oil changes I guarantee you that's how it is for the 1100i and I never had a problem with oil or engine for that matter as well.

Eventually, I got approx. 2.8 litres in with the dipstick reading full. I'll drain off 300ml, and leave it at that. I think the workshop manual could be more helpful here, as this question must come up all the time. Still learning about the weird world of Moto Guzzi :)

Thanks to all who responded.

I would suggest that rather than screwing the dipstick in simply rest it on the threads and then keepadding oil until it reaches the 'Full' mark.

Excellent, wish I'd thought of that.

While we're on about this, there used to be a German Guzzi site (pinwand - long since gone) and one of the posts there stipulated that Guzzi specs were overfilling the various lubed areas by about 10%. I can't verify that of course, but my experience with the rear box and transmission is that you should fill them to the point where the lube just barely comes up to the bottom of the sight hole. This is with the bike on a paddock type stand (vertical) and the rear wheel at it's maximum extension. For the rear box, this puts the sight hole at its lowest possible position meaning the minimum possible volume of oil that still meets the fill level requirement. I've yet to blow a seal or experience any leakage doing it this way. I have however, lost a drain and a sight plug after changing over to a slippery after-market synthetic lubricant. I now use a tiny bit of teflon tape at the bottom of the the plug threads and safetwire the plugs. YMMV. Actually, everybody's mileage may vary!