TWO STAGE CLUTCH??

Guest ONETHUMPER

Guest ONETHUMPER

I have a 2000 v11 that has started having a problem with clutch engagement. When letting out the clutch lever some times it will grab quickly then as the lever is let out more it disengages as if the clutch is still pulled in then will engage where it should. The system has been bled and the bike has 20000 miles on it. My question is this a sympton of warped plates and is it ok to drive the bike or does this need to be taken care asap. Thanks for the help in advance.

I had a similar behavior on my LM2 for about 50 000 km. There seemed to be two clutch engaging points.

When I dismounted the clutch it turned out to be loose rivets on one clutch disc. In this case the clutch can last for a long time if you are not a wheelying the bike or performing other misuse with the clutch.

The V11 discs are the same make like the Cali 1100 discs which tend to break betweeen friction liner and hub. When one disc is broken through, the remaining disc is no more able to manage the engines torque and will slip. If this is the case, that the one disc is almost broken through, the slipping will occur soon and engine gearbox dismounting is then needed.

Guest ONETHUMPER

Thanks for the information motoguzznix, I think i will keep riding it as is and plan for a new clutch this winter.

If it starts slipping then the change will be sooner, just glad I dont need to worry about the clutch flying to pieces and causing a lot of damage to the bike.

If it really is a friction plate demounting (and that description sounds about right), then you will not be enjoying the ride very long. The clutch will rapidly get more grabby and it will feel like it's destroying your transmission. If a plate has completely separated, then it moves off center and you'll feel increased vibration. Also, if you have a riveted plate, then the rivets can eat into the intermeadiate plate or the flywheel plate..depending on which clutch plate delaminated. I would look into the cost of tools, new friction plates and also replace the springs while you are in there...or compare it to a RAM clutch which is easier to install (if you are a DIY fellow).

Guest ONETHUMPER

I took the bike out this afternoon and the problem is getting worse. Now when I am stopped with the clutch pulled in the clutch is partelly engaged and its hard to find neutral. If i let out on the lever the and find the spot where the engine and transmission are not hooked up all is fine.So I dont think this problem is going to fix itself, but I was hoping Looks like a clutch job is in the near future. It does look like the ram may be the easiest to do.

Had this symptom on a Cali 1100i once. It just had the clutch replaced, but dealer didn't notice that the bearing on the gearbox input shaft had disintegrated.

I wouldn't wait for the big bang.

I wouldn't wait for the big bang.

I agree!

tear it apart.

I would complete it with stock parts - it is lots cheaper. And the stock flywheel never breaks. Use surflex discs, these never break apart.

I would only swap to an other clutch when the teethes in the flywheel are severely worn.