Buell footpegs

mdude

First ride last night with healed wrist and complete bike.

I did the Buell-thing while at it, and I really cant see the point now. Ergonomics goes AWOL. Gear lever is way too high, and brake pedal is more or less unreachable. My right knee (I got long legs) came to rest at the valve cover instead of by the tank. Things got unpleasantly hot.

Yes the angle at the knees became a wee bit less sharp, but I still got a cramp going through traffic...

Of course things can be adjusted, but not as far as I can see, to the extent that this really works without making new levers/pedals.

I'm off to buy Ducati footpegs, ST2 ones.

Has anyone really become comfy with the Buell conversion or do you have to live in compromise-world regarding ergonomics ever after? Right now I think it feels like a bodge......

(It didnt help that the bike felt like sh.... Rough running, snatchy, bumpy and lacking in power. arrrrgh...... one of these days)

m u s t g e t m o r e c o f f e e

I have the Buel pegs on my LeMans and I quite like them. :thumbsup: It lowered the pegs just enough for me to make the knee angle just right. Now I only have a 30" inseam so maybe that is part of it. For what it cost me I think it was a very good investment. I've done an 800 mile day :bike: with no leg problems what so ever. I'm keeping mine. :)

:mg:

I have the Buel pegs on my LeMans and I quite like them. :thumbsup: It lowered the pegs just enough for me to make the knee angle just right. Now I only have a 30" inseam so maybe that is part of it. For what it cost me I think it was a very good investment. I've done an 800 mile day :bike: with no leg problems what so ever. I'm keeping mine. :)

shorter legs probably help a lot. but are you comfy with the pedal/lever?

First ride last night with healed wrist and complete bike.

I did the Buell-thing while at it, and I really cant see the point now. Ergonomics goes AWOL. Gear lever is way too high, and brake pedal is more or less unreachable. My right knee (I got long legs) came to rest at the valve cover instead of by the tank. Things got unpleasantly hot.

Yes the angle at the knees became a wee bit less sharp, but I still got a cramp going through traffic...

Of course things can be adjusted, but not as far as I can see, to the extent that this really works without making new levers/pedals.

I'm off to buy Ducati footpegs, ST2 ones.

Has anyone really become comfy with the Buell conversion or do you have to live in compromise-world regarding ergonomics ever after? Right now I think it feels like a bodge......

Would these be any good for you, I have not fitted mine yet (probably on Sunday) but they seem an excellent product.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10389

It is a more expensive alternative but reports suggest a proper solution for the long legged V11 rider.

:luigi:

Mine worked great (6'2", 34" inseam). Yup I had to fiddle with the shift and brake. Added 1/4" to shift and brake length to get the feel right. But there are many factors to consider. My bar risers add an inch up and an inch back which opens things up, and I have the MRA screen so the wind is acceptable in the slightly more upright position. Ankle flexibility and boot style factor in as well. For me it works and I wouldn't go back.

The lots ends up more stealthy than the radical extended controllers evolving on this site. Comes a point that ergonomics and aesthetics just don't work anymore and its "Harley-Time". (But I'm often reminded by my 14 yr old daughter that I am unnecessarily rude). Whatever works..... :bike:

I used the Buell pegs for one day. :bbblll: I'm 6-ft, 33" inseam, and they certainly relaxed the leg position, but I wound up really leaning on my wrists. Put the stock pegs back and could I support myself better. I have a Sport with clip-ons above the triple clamp. If the bars were higher and further back, like a touring bike, the Buell pegs would have been better. But then I'd be riding a Gold Wing, LOL.

As far as the controls, mine were really low from the factory and lined up perfectly with the Buell pegs. I had to raise them considerably to go back to stock.

But to each his own.

Joe

Better now, I went and got footpegs off a Ducati Monster yesterday, they're actually 5mm or so higher... felt a lot more comfortable and right.

I have a near 36inch inseam (my legs end right below where my head starts) and I've found that I actually like the foetal position. Maybe its time now to proceed to that holy grail: the 996....

Good to hear it isnt only me that cant cope with the Buell thang.

Rode to work today, the bike felt better than yesterday but it kicked back at me by killing its tach... getting a bit bored now. New GEIrelays from Dan installed couple of days ago....

Here's an intermediate option between Rylands and the Buell pegs:

PICT0021-4.jpg

These are the Motobits set from Moto International in Seattle (my employer). I use them on my Ballabio and love them. They move the pegs forward by 45 mm and down by 30 mm, which is pretty much the limit without making them the first thing to touch down. I'm 6'3" with a 35-inch inseam. My longest day (so far) was 684 miles, and I enjoyed the ride that much more because I experienced no knee pain. In that one respect, the Ballab is more comfortable than my Eldo.

They are vernier adjustable for footlever pitch, which also allows you to adjust the angles beween the footlevers and the linkage levers. For best leverage the two should be at 90 degrees to one another. My brake was too lock-prone, so I adjusted it for less leverage. You can adjust shifting action in a similar way. Effective lever length is adjustable by moving the toe-piece.

Yes, I am short and the Buel pegs are OK on my SCURA so far. No real long ride test as I have a broken wrist from a scooter vs a taxi accident.

My leg and ankle angle is even better with the Buel Ulysses pegs. I have both but I think it works only for shorties. Works for me.

S251