Gadgets

Guzzirider

I recently bought myself and Helen the new Blueant interphone- we tested it in Scotland last week and it works well. Basically you clip it to the side of your helmet, then it allows you bike to bike intercom using bluetooth technology. Talk time is 10 hours per battery charge and it works up to 150m. Its very clear, with wind noise only occuring over 80mph. Handy for communicating I need a piss / petrol / rest etc without having to wave madly and make hand signals. The best thing is that there no wires and walky talkies like most other intercoms. You can also use it to answer your mobile phone, but I'm not keen on that and my mobile stays off while I ride.

interphone_pic3.jpg

Will also use the interphone to listen to my Garmin Zumo 550 which arrived this morning- I can listen to directions or music from the MP3 player. I'm turning into a right techy nerd.

prod3232.jpg

Guest Nogbad

I have been thinking seriously about the Garmin Zumo. Is it what you expected? Does it do what you want etc.

is it spendy? I may want to go in on this with my bud now that he finally got his 675, nice nice ride that 675, I'm almost jealous.

It may not be a very long ride. There have been reports of quite a few 675's engines going boom.

Ciao, Steve

It may not be a very long ride. There have been reports of quite a few 675's engines going boom.

Ciao, Steve

The PB magazine test bike broke a valve in their endurance test- Triumph blamed the dealer who had just serviced it, but there seems some doubt about that.

Ben

The Blueant is about £125 per unit- you need one each obviously if you are doing bike to bike comms.

May be cheaper in the States.

Guy :helmet:

The PB magazine test bike broke a valve in their endurance test- Triumph blamed the dealer who had just serviced it, but there seems some doubt about that.

Ben

The Blueant is about £125 per unit- you need one each obviously if you are doing bike to bike comms.

May be cheaper in the States.

ummm. wow he has the brand new 2007 limited edition black one, I hope it doesn't blow up on him he's taking the breakin real slow as its his first bike ever and he doesn't know how to ride very well

as for the intercomm thingy, $189 here, and I KNOW I don't ride enough to need that(at least not with buddies) that I can just stick to irratic hand waving. :grin:

• 5 weeks later...

The Zumo was fine for 2 weeks- and just as I was getting used to it, the RAM mount suddenly stopped charging after a heavy thunderstorm in Mandello.

Spoke to Garmin this evening and want me to send the mount back for repair.

Hi Guy

other than damp in the works what did you make of the Zumo.

Did the mount fail in use or while left out in the rain with the zumo off, there is reports on the zumo site of the rubber boot perishing that covers the contacts when not in use

Had my zumo for about 6 week, only used it in the van so far, still getting to grips with it, it doesn't seem logical after 4 years with tomtom3, I like the route log facilitie though.

going to the Austrian Alps at the weekend so how it copes then, going on the blackbird though. must admit made a mistake there, I will be buying e guzzi again when I come back, half fancy 1200s

Dave

Hi Guy

other than damp in the works what did you make of the Zumo.

Did the mount fail in use or while left out in the rain with the zumo off, there is reports on the zumo site of the rubber boot perishing that covers the contacts when not in use

Had my zumo for about 6 week, only used it in the van so far, still getting to grips with it, it doesn't seem logical after 4 years with tomtom3, I like the route log facilitie though.

going to the Austrian Alps at the weekend so how it copes then, going on the blackbird though. must admit made a mistake there, I will be buying e guzzi again when I come back, half fancy 1200s

Dave

Hi Dave

Touch screen

Easy navigation around the system

Easy to key in co-ordinates as well as addresses

Menu

Whole of Europe already programmed in

Dislikes

Sun glare on screen

Inaccurate countdown in meters to junctions

On the whole I think its a good piece of kit. The RAm mount failed after a thunderstorm in Mandello. I am guessing that the rubber protectors simply aren't effective. I've heard that there is an updated mount due out soon- maybe Garmin have had lots of failures.

Enjoy your tour of Austria!