tire change

scre103

I have a v11 sport with 5000 miles, it's a 2001 model. the bike is heated garage kept and no tire rot is detected. are these tires still safe or do they need to be changed ? thanks also what would be a good tire replacement.

Guest ratchethack

Scre, it would be easier to reply WRT what might be considered "safe" if you'd specified what kind of tires they are, how much tread is left on them, and wot kind of riding you intend to do on them.

I'm sure many would simply replace 'em outright due to age, and be done with any worry about potential deterioration considerations. IMHO this is not a bad call regardless of everything else that's unknown.

At 6 years old, I'd say that all other things being unknown or neutral, if they had less than half tread life left, I'd replace 'em. If they're the original Metzeler MEZ4 or other long-obsolete tires, I'd replace 'em no matter wot tread's left, but that's just me. :huh2:

In wot I've whinged on about as "The Golden Age of Moto Tires", if you aren't experiencing what a decent set of the current leaders can bring to enjoyment of riding, I reckon y'er missing the boat, my friend.

As far as a "good replacement", again -- this depends largely on what kind of riding you do and your objectives for tire performance. IMHO you can't go wrong with the top o' the evaluation stack from just about any of the biggies. Again -- how do you intend to ride 'em? :huh2: Lately, I like to recommend (and have been thanked many times for it) Metz Z6 for sport/touring purposes. For whatever this might mean to you, I wear them all the way to the edges of usable tread. They're on TOP of the Euro Moto rag sport/touring evals in both DRY and WET. To my knowledge, no other Sport/Touring tire offers as much performance -- regardless of mileage.

For my last month's barking mad endorsement and link to latest Motorrad and Moto Revue Sport/Touring tire comparison testing, see here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...;p=119811. Pushed hard, they're quick, stick something like magic (yep, I'm tellin' you 'cause you asked!), they're neutral handling, confidence-inspiring, predictable on "challenging" mixed kinds of terrain and surfaces, and I find they achieve relatively long life (7.5K miles last rear, front I expect ~9K!) without cupping, without squaring-off too horribly, or losing center tread until the rest of the tread is also used up (this would depend on how you ride of course) -- but again, that's just me. :huh2:

Heck I don't think I have had a rear tire last 5000 miles and still be legal to ride on.

With no dry rot, and legal tread, I would not worry about it, as long as you don't ride it too agressively it should be fine. Just keep in mind the chicken strips may have dried out and lost some of their grip. (assuming you have chicken strips)

When the rear gets close to the wear indicator, you should replace it, and most would recommend the front at the same time, regardless of tread.

You can test your tread with a US penny. Turn the penny so Lincoln’s head is pointing down and insert it into the tread. If the tread doesn’t cover Lincoln’s head, it’s time to replace your tires. In your case if it is even close, you should replace it.

If you don't have tread in the center, it is more difficult to measure.

With your annual mileage, you should probably select this year's latest model to ensure that the manufactured date is recent.

I think something with a little more grip than wear might be up your alley, maybe a Metzeler M1 or Pirelli Diablo???

Also, I think you over-due for valve stem replacements.

Guest ratchethack
:stupid: IMHO, if the switch from 170 to 160 rear hasn't already been done (assuming the stock 4.5" wheel), this can't be said strongly enough. :thumbsup::race:

I'd swap the rear stock 170 tire out for a new 160 size immediately. At 5000 miles you're getting close to the end of that tires life no matter what it looks like.

I wholeheartedly agree. I would not consider anything else. The safety factor of a new tire - the safety from the better handling of the 160 tire.

That is my opinion. The rest is your choice!

Ok' They are bridgestone battlax bt57r radials and i basically just cruise around on them in northern illinois, nothing aggressive, i would say sport touring. the tread front and rear touches abes head, there's no cracking that i can see. does this help to evaluate them. thanks scre :)

and yes they are 170/60 zr17's. you say i should go with 160's ? scre

Ok' They are bridgestone battlax bt57r radials and i basically just cruise around on them in northern illinois, nothing aggressive, i would say sport touring. the tread front and rear touches abes head, there's no cracking that i can see. does this help to evaluate them. thanks scre :)

It sounds to me like you're into riding a kind of relaxed pace and it sounds like you've got enough tread left to last the summer. As long as the roads are dry, you should be fine, and can plan on replacing the tires in the fall [or if you put the bike in storage for the winter, next spring before riding season begins.]

It kinda depends on how many miles you rack up; I doubt very much that you have more than another 1-2k miles left in that rear, so if you expect to put on much more than 1k this summer, you'd do well to plan on replacing it during the riding season. And if you're going to replace the rear, you might as well get a matching front at the same time, so you'll have fresh rubber all 'round..

:bike:

Guest ratchethack
Just spoke with my local guzzi dealer and he only installs tires that he sells. he has the pirelli diablo corsa's in my size. what do you think about this tire. scre

I hear good things about this tire but can't comment on it, not having ever rode on it.

IMHO, best decide what tire's best for you FIRST, and have someone order exactly what you want and also install it. How much planning do you really need to factor in, once you've determined you'll be needing new tires? A tire order is a nominal 2-day ship to just about anywhere from just about anywhere? :huh2:

I have a riding buddy who does many things WRT his Guzzi that I frankly can't understand. One is to completely ignore suspension setup. He can't be convinced of any value in doing it, because WRT his grasp of things mechanical, he's -- er, "somewhat challenged" (despite being a very good rider!). He can't seem to place importance on wot he can't understand. God bless the man, but the other thing he does that drives me up the wall is take his bike to the dealer and has 'em slap on wotever tires they've got on the rack. :doh: Doesn't much matter -- make, size or aspect ratio is of little or no concern! Just as long as it's "close" to wotever he wound up with last time, using the same lack of discernment. . . <_< . He doesn't seem to make much of any distinction at all, and for the most part, doesn't seem to notice any difference on the road beyond how well new ones (ANY new ones) handle compared to the old squared-off boots with (literally) carcass windings sticking out the center. :homer:

Ah, but it's a free market economy and we're all able to make just about any choices we want as consumers, and ain't that a beautiful thing? :P

Maybe it's ME who's in the dark here. After all, if a rider can't tell the difference between the Top o' The Chart Latest Tire and the recycled-condom hoop from Bongo Congo -- why question a lack of attention to quality??

IMHO, best do your homework on tires and suspension, if nothing else. Besides brakes, they're the 2 most important aspects of riding enjoyment and safety for any motorcycle, IMHO. Rider experience and skill aside, these 2 items literally define the character of your motorcycle and to a large extent, your riding experience -- IMHO far more than engine output.

Now this is just me and everyone's different -- far be it from me to criticize the behavior of my Pal or anyone with different understanding and priorities -- unless they're just being obstinate, foaming-at-the-mouth FOOLS, or a clear and present danger to themselves and others, f'er cryin' out loud! :lol: But WRT tires, seems to me dealers very often find it very difficult to stock tires due to the great many models and sizes available for different machines, and the increasing frequency with which new models hit the market, more or less instantly obsoleting shelf stock. They can easily get burned by stocking something that doesn't move very quickly. Now wot d'you s'pose ends up "in stock"?? -- That's right, it's the tires from 2 years back that somebody mis-ordered and got the wrong model or size, or the one someone ordered but never picked up. It may've well been superceded and/or obsoleted years ago. <_<

To jump back on one o' my favorite whinges, if you buy a tire that's been on the back-side of its obsolescence curve for years, IMHO y'er missing one o' the best aspects of riding today. Best discover the joys of the top tires that're on the FRONT SIDE of market introduction. They're considerable, my friend. :wub:

The tire recommendations you'll get on this Forum are among the best you'll get anywhere. ;)

-- err, there have been notable exceptions, of course. <_<

BAA TJM, & YMMV

I wholeheartedly agree. I would not consider anything else. The safety factor of a new tire - the safety from the better handling of the 160 tire.

That is my opinion. The rest is your choice!

Totally agree. 160mm rear is the way.

Ciao, Steve

Just spoke with my local guzzi dealer and he only installs tires that he sells. he has the pirelli diablo corsa's in my size. what do you think about this tire. scre

Diablo Corsa is an excellent tire, but it was recently discontinued so it might not be as fresh as say a Diablo Corsa III or just a Diablo.

The Diablo Corsa III being the more serious sport bike tire and the Diablo being a bit more worthy for cold and wet.

If the manufactured date on the Diablo Corsa is not too old you might go for it.

EDIT and dittos on the 160!!!

I have a v11 sport with 5000 miles, it's a 2001 model. the bike is heated garage kept and no tire rot is detected. are these tires still safe or do they need to be changed ? thanks also what would be a good tire replacement.

AFAIK from the time the tire is fitted to the bike and made some km , then it has to be used periodically(at least). If left for a period of over 6-8 months "unstepped" then it is pretty much not safe and definitely doesn't have the specs of the manufacturer. That's what my tire shop told me, and personally I wouldn't take the risk of not believing.

AFAIK from the time the tire is fitted to the bike and made some km , then it has to be used periodically(at least). If left for a period of over 6-8 months "unstepped" then it is pretty much not safe and definitely doesn't have the specs of the manufacturer. That's what my tire shop told me, and personally I wouldn't take the risk of not believing.

What does unstepped mean?