triple tree removal

wheelsucker

Ok, I've removed the three bolts on the triple tree(one from behind each handlebar, and one near the tank), I then removed the two bolts that hold the instrument cluster to the triple tree. My triple tree clamp is still not budging, is there another bolt or two somewhere that I'm missing?

then you missed the big one where it all turns around, the big chrome where you look at the whole time, it has a hex hole in the center where a small thing is pressed in, gentle put a knife in beween and flip it out. Then a hex will fit in.

Guest ratchethack

Ok, I've removed the three bolts on the triple tree(one from behind each handlebar, and one near the tank), I then removed the two bolts that hold the instrument cluster to the triple tree. My triple tree clamp is still not budging, is there another bolt or two somewhere that I'm missing?

Wheelsucker, there've been a few posts on this. Not sure if yours has this but some models, mine included, have a locating socket-head bolt through an ear on each clip-on underneath the triple clamp that fastens them to the triple clamp.

It's possible to greatly ease the removal of the top triple clamp with VERY GENTLE opening of the slots at the pinch bolts by wedging the slots ONLY SLIGHTLY with small screwdrivers. It only takes a few thousandths of an inch -- VERY LITTLE FORCE -- to allow it slip off (as they say in Butte Breath, Arkansas) "purty as a brand spankin' new pair o' snow taaaahrs (tires, tyres, pneus )". :thumbsup:

It helps to have the front wheel off the floor to decrease loads on the forks when you do this.

Have fun. :luigi:

BTW - just saw Paul's post. Neither my Sport, nor my Pal's '04 LM require the center hex or its cover to be disturbed to get the triple clamp off. There may be exceptions to this?? :huh2: