Antother pod filter question

scottybee

HMMM I happen to know that Jaap is running something similar to that but then its bike is getting to be about as far from stock as you can get, well mine too actually. hopefully I can find some of those FBF pistons to hold on to and throw in when I need a new clutch or something, just when I need something serious done, and yes those will affect your air/fuel mix more than any other mod, you'll need either a PCIII or a flashed ECU.

[quote name='DeBenGuzzi'

yes those will affect your air/fuel mix more than any other mod, you'll need either a PCIII or a flashed ECU.

What is a flashed ECU? And how do I get one?

If you put pod filters on you will only need to adjust your tps sensor to get the fuel mixture right. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, take it to a dealer & get it done for a few bucks. Its no big deal & should only take 10 minutes for a pro to do it. I'm not sure what DeBen is talking about with reflashing the ecu, but it aint necesarry for pod filters alone.

Will the ECU auto adj. at all? Will I be able to ride to a dealer (150 miles) to have the tps adjusted.

I would try it myself but I don't have this twinmax thing. to balance the TB's. I don't have valve cover gaskets on hand to do valve adj.

Can't I just put these babies on and go riding?

It's an open loop system vice closed loop....meaning the ECM reads from a pre-written map and does not self correct. ....no 02 sensor in exhaust.

Some go by the rule that you are ok to ride (with existing ECM map) if you've only changed either the intake arrangment or exhaust setup...but not both. If I were you, I'd just buy a PCIII and download a free map from this forum or ask around if you can't find a map with your exact setup. That will get you close enough, then you can always dynotune once you finish all your mods.

I don't have valve cover gaskets on hand to do valve adj.

Valve cover gaskets are generally re-useable.

Just be careful and keep some silicone gasket goo around, just in case you tear a gasket.

And a flashed ECU is simply an ECU with a re-programmed map.

Most dealers don't have the tools to flash the ECU.

Flashing is usually done by a dyno tuner.

You can do it yourself using Tune Boy, Direct Link, Axe One, or UltiMap, but all of them are expensive.

The PCIII also changes mapping, but after the ECU. The PCIII is cheaper and easier to use, but is not as powerful in what it can do.