Clutch slipping at 17k mi

Ray

Clutch slipping on acceleration @ say 5-6k rpm. Am I missing anything, an easy adjustment? Haven't yet had to deal with a hydraulic clutch, any ins and outs I ought to know? What's it like taking this clutch apart? Need disks or a good cleaning?

Thanks dudes.

Guest ratchethack

Clutch slipping on acceleration @ say 5-6k rpm. Am I missing anything, an easy adjustment? Haven't yet had to deal with a hydraulic clutch, any ins and outs I ought to know? What's it like taking this clutch apart? Need disks or a good cleaning?

Thanks dudes.

Ray, there's no adjustment on hydraulic clutches. Your clutch is same as mine, a dual-disk. It sounds like it's slipping at the torque peak, which is exactly wot you'd expect if one of the 2 most likely conditions at this low mileage are present (20K mi is very low mileage relative to clutch service life): 1. contamination of the friction surface (of at least one disk) by oil as Paul suggested above (possible source: failed crankshaft seal). 2. friction material is separating from one of the disks. IMHO #2 is highly unlikely, and you'd likely have other things like irregular engagement and potentially horrendous vibration, knocking & clunking.

I'm with Paul - take the most non-intrusive and easy approach first. Have the starter off for a look see. Don't neglect to disconnect the battery first, or you could regret it. :luigi:

Good luck. :helmet:

Is your bike one that required recall transmission servicing?

If so, it may be that, like mine, the wizard tech that re-assembled the thing didn't read the manual on the dual-plate clutch, and botched the plate orientation ( getting the front one back-to-front). After very little mileage the friction surface wears enough that the center-hub of the mis-oriented front disc contacts the flywheel face, effectively eliminating that disc from the clutch pack.

It's a simple matter of reversing the orientation of that clutch disc.............. hahaha...

Guest ratchethack

Hey Brian. It's a good thing to bring up in Ray's case. :unsure:

The one-eyed gnome that did this to your Guzzi should've been put back in his iron maiden in the dungeon keep & fed left-over gruel from the livestock pens for a month for that. :angry: But why have the clutch apart for the trans recall work?!?! There's absolutely no need to touch the clutch!! :huh2:

You sure it wasn't a one-eyed Luigi in Mandello wot done it?! :homer:

Hey Brian. It's a good thing to bring up in Ray's case. :unsure:

The one-eyed gnome that did this to your Guzzi should've been put back in his iron maiden in the dungeon keep & fed left-over gruel from the livestock pens for a month for that. :angry: But why have the clutch apart for the trans recall work?!?! There's absolutely no need to touch the clutch!! :huh2:

You sure it wasn't a one-eyed Luigi in Mandello wot done it?! :homer:

I'd guess it was a "While You Are In There" issue.